• Register Today It's free!

Persistent Sticky Brakes

sfbayjay

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland-ish, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT SOHC 4L V6
I have had persistent problems with dragging brakes on my 2002 Explorer XLT, particularly the rear brakes. A couple of times it's been bad enough to cause the brakes to smoke and the rotor to become discolored and totally glazed. I'm confident the issue isn't the e-brake, as I've replaced and serviced those parts to check for drag and/or delaminated ebrake shoes.

So, I just finished replacing all of the rear brake components: calipers, rotors, pads, and even the flexible brake hoses. Flushed nice new clean brake fluid through the system. Hopefully this will take care of the issue once and for all!

When I bought all of my parts, I picked up a tube of this Sil-Glyde brake lubricant.

My question: Is this a good grease to use for lubricating the steel "slippers" that clip onto the knuckle (where the pads actually slide back and forth on the knuckle?). Parts store guy told me it would be "good for brakes." So helpful... :rolleyes:

When I was looking the old parts I removed, those slippers were pretty badly corroded, maybe largely responsible for the brake sticking I was experiencing.

What would you all use to lubricate the pad slippers?

Yep, it gets the job done. Don't glob it on.

brake lube, that the stuff.

Back