PI utility Fire Wall pass thru | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PI utility Fire Wall pass thru

jackh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer XLT
I am unfitting some 2017 PI utilities. Is there a grommet or hole from the engine compartment to the passenger compartment to run wires through?
I know there are some wires already in from the factory, but unable to locate them on the inside, and need to run a few more anyways.
I have been making a hole on the passenger side, but takes some time do so. Very tight area.
Would be very nice if that was a grommet some place.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am unfitting some 2017 PI utilities. Is there a grommet or hole from the engine compartment to the passenger compartment to run wires through?
I know there are some wires already in from the factory, but unable to locate them on the inside, and need to run a few more anyways.
I have been making a hole on the passenger side, but takes some time do so. Very tight area.
Would be very nice if that was a grommet some place.

There is a specific pass thru behind glove box already there.

Go to www.fordpoliceinterceptor.com and download the Upfitters Guide

There are 6 pairs of twisted wires on al PIU's, regardless of ordered options. It seems like you've found them under the hood (near the air cleaner, just below the fuse box). On the inside, they are just to the left of where the steering column passes through the firewall, should be easy to locate.

If you haven't utilized them yet, don't forget about the two connectors neat the center dash that have all types of wires (hot, ground, hot w/ key, illumination, park detect, etc). Best thing is they are all fused from the factory. The link Sgt1411 mentioned has all the info.

Maybe one of you can help me I have a 2014 pi I have the modifier guide but looking for a more detail explanation on the 14 pin police plug. I use the vehicle for fire department use and have been installing equipment but the explainantion that the modifier guide gives is vague on explanation.

There are 6 pairs of twisted wires on al PIU's, regardless of ordered options. It seems like you've found them under the hood (near the air cleaner, just below the fuse box). On the inside, they are just to the left of where the steering column passes through the firewall, should be easy to locate.

If you haven't utilized them yet, don't forget about the two connectors neat the center dash that have all types of wires (hot, ground, hot w/ key, illumination, park detect, etc). Best thing is they are all fused from the factory. The link Sgt1411 mentioned has all the info.

Only 2015s and up have the 6 pairs of wires through the firewall. 2014s and older have a grommeted pass-through in the front passenger wheel well.

Ford has a guide that explains it pretty well.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbba...ice_Interceptor_Wire_Harness_Pass-Through.pdf

Maybe one of you can help me I have a 2014 pi I have the modifier guide but looking for a more detail explanation on the 14 pin police plug. I use the vehicle for fire department use and have been installing equipment but the explainantion that the modifier guide gives is vague on explanation.

There are two 14-pin connectors up underneath the IP (instrument panel). The first is called the power and vehicle signals connector. This connector has several battery positive (B+, always hot regardless of key position), run/start (hot when key in run position), and accessory delay (hot until either front door is opened or ~10 min. after turning off vehicle) power connections, along with vehicle signals such as steering wheel remappable switches, park detect, driver's door ajar, and vehicle speed output (VSS).

The second 14-pin connector is back a little farther under the IP and is not quite as hefty. This is the police options connector. This is where the factory front emergency lighting connects if your vehicle was ordered with lighting such as grill lights, headlight flasher simulator, corner white hide-a-ways, and the siren speaker. It also has dimmer control (to tie into backlighting of a siren/lighting controller) and a brake output (useful for high idle and anti-theft systems). If your vehicle was not ordered with factory emergency lighting the only wires that would be of use are is the dimmer and brake output.

Additionally there is a 6-pin power connector up under the IP. It has three 12 ga. 40A power connections and three 12 ga. grounds. Ford really has put a lot of thought into upfitting these vehicles and there's really no reason to run power cables directly to the battery since plenty of power is provided.

By chance you don't know if there is a way to power the ignition and remove the key I had a 07 charger pi and on my switchbox I had the ability to power up a switch and remove the key all the while leaving vehicle running didn't know if that was an option on the exsplorer or not.

It sounds like you're talking about an anti-theft system. Starting with the 2017 utilities you can order them with factory anti theft. Anything before that will require an aftermarket module.

Back