• Register Today It's free!

Plans for a real build

rockjammer

Reaction score
City, State
Boise Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 v6
So I am curently in Iraq, but when I get home I am getting a hand me down 2005 Explorer. Some how my dad has got the V6 to last 186,000 miles, but he is old and its been in 4wd a hand full of times.

So here is the plan, and I bet it has been done I just have not seen it on a explorer yet.

- front and rear Dana 60's 3 link front with pan hard bar 4link rear.

-new motor and trany- still working that one but I dont think its going to be as bad as every one is making it sound on here.

-would like to go to a real transfer case, need to do some looking to see if i can or if I will have to make some adapter to get what i want. Lost to read about, but I dont see it being to hard, just time.

In the end I hope to have a Explorer that not a lot of people have seen and knowing me I will learn a lot of lessons for every one else on here. I always bit off more than I can chew, and some how I get it all done in the end.

Wish me luck, and I will keep you guys posted.

-35 in tires with coil overs all around.

as I order parts I will post them and when I get home from Iraq this winter some time I will show the build as I go along.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

35"s with a D60 is probably a bit unbalanced (tire diam vs axle). You might as well go with a D44 / solid 8.8 combo - significantly cheaper cost, higher differential housing clearance, easier to find parts for, etc..

35"s with a D60 is probably a bit unbalanced (tire diam vs axle). You might as well go with a D44 / solid 8.8 combo - significantly cheaper cost, higher differential housing clearance, easier to find parts for, etc..

I think 35's will be fine on 60's. but for sure x2 on the D44 and 8.8 still solid and ALOT cheaper

Sounds nice - I'd agree that Dana60s for 35"s could be considered overkill, but if you want that strength I'd say go for it.

As far as the new engine goes - a diesel Ex would be really cool. But if you do it, I'd say to lean towards a passenger diesel rather than a commercial diesel (like a Cummins). Ford uses the HS International 2.8L in the Brazilian Ranger (it's basically an upgraded LR 300tdi). And I think you can get them new for under $10k.

Plans

I agree with you guys that Dana 60's are over kill. I was pondering 44 front with a 8.8 rear. But I have a 60 rear and I figured why not slap in a front to match it.

down the road when I move on to a truck in few years I figured I have the axles under it so I might just cut this thing up and clear some 37'sand see how this thing does as a family rock crawler- like I said this is down the road a ways.

As for the Motor swap I am still doing some looking around I do like the diesel Idea and I am going to put a call in to a friend of mine that runs a diesel shop and see if he can keep his eyes out for one.

thanks for the input you all have given me a lot to think about, and now I have some more reading to do.

Keep up the comments guy, thanks again.

Back