Potential Fire Hazard

Bob K

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsburg, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
Got a 01 XLT 5.0L AWD.

After driving it for about 11 months, I noticed that on about 5 or 6 occassions when I turn the steering wheel slightly to the left and then initiate the turn signal lever to signal a left turn the green signal light on the instrument panel stays lit and does not blink. If I leave the lever down for a couple of seconds in this condition and look down at the panel to see what's up, I notice whisps of smoke coming from the gap between the steering wheel and steering column. At first, I thought I was seeing things, but now after about 5 or 6 times and the one time I could even smell smoke, I knew it was for real.

Have not talked to a dealer yet. Since it only happens on rare occassions and under unique conditions I don't want to get that "can't duplicate problem" crap from the dealer.

Any similiar experiences, thoughts, suggestions, any one aware of any recalls for this?

Prefer not to pull into my garage and wake up in the night hours later with my whole house up in flames.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Almost all 2nd gen Explorers have this problem. It's your multifunction lever. Replacement costs only $58-$70 and will probably take you about 30 minutes to replace. Good luck!

Thanks

Just the info I was looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to educate me.

Merry Christmas!

Back