Protection of Suede Seats?

orangshagrug

Reaction score
City, State
ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
Hey Guys,
Just picked up the Explorer XLT with the Appearance Package which has suede accents through the vehicle and partial leather and suede seats.
Just wondering what you might do to protect the suede and for that matter the leather?
I used Scotch Guard on cloth seats previously but am unsure about suede and leather.

Thanks
Craig

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same seats, and tried to find the same info when I first purchased my Explorer.
The suede is actually a synthetic material called Miko Suede. Another similar brand name is Alcantara. It's basically a microfiber, and regular cleaning with a damp cotton cloth is sufficient if there are no stains, followed by a light brushing with soft bristled brush to get the 'nap' back in place. I haven't found anything to suggest any kind of scotch guard or other protector is necessary or even advised.
Ford doesn't provide any info, but the Google machine is a good place to search for "how to clean Miko Suede."

That is very interesting.
Thanks for the idea.

Craig
Keep in mind that if you have heated seats, seat covers are not recommended. Also, be aware of the warning in the Manual re airbags.
Do not use accessory seat covers.
The use of accessory seat covers
may prevent the deployment of the
side airbags and increase the risk of injury
in an accident

Peter

Keep in mind that if you have heated seats, seat covers are not recommended. Also, be aware of the warning in the Manual re airbags.
Do not use accessory seat covers.
The use of accessory seat covers
may prevent the deployment of the
side airbags and increase the risk of injury
in an accident

Peter

Seat cover features:
  • Advanced Dri-Lock™ nanotechnology coating for maximum water resistance and stain protection.
  • Extra thick quilted foam cushioning for superior driving comfort.
  • Dense, quality wetsuit material for maximum protection and durability.
  • Easy slip-on installation requires no tools and fits bucket seats with adjustable headrests.
  • Easy to clean - simply spot clean with mild detergent and damp cloth. Air dry only.
  • Contemporary styling to coordinate with any interior.
  • Specialized breakaway stitching allows covers to fit on seats with Side Air Bags.
  • Wetsuit fabric is warm in winter and cool in summer for all season protection.

Very often, vehicle owners, to protect the original upholstery, prefer to get the best option - covers or capes for the seats. They will help protect the upholstery from dirt or wear, besides, they are simpler and quicker to install, unlike the full waist of the cabin. Also, thanks to them, this process can be avoided if the original upholstery is worn or heavily soiled. But I also use a suede protection agent. For example Saphir Medaille dOR. Top 5 Best Suede Protectors for Shoes & Handbags [2019 Reviews] - Leather Toolkits Good helper.

^^Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If using a cover, make sure it is breathable if you have heated/cooled seats and that there is no interference with the side airbags.

Peter

Back