Quick question about stock subwoofer replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick question about stock subwoofer replacement

eddie95

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.8 AWD
Well, I have a 95 explorer eddie bauer with the JBL system in it. The sound was always great, but then a couple days ago the sub died. The bass is distorted by crackling with an occasional loud static sound that lasts a couple seconds. This started right after I had listened to the stereo rather loud the day before. I'm assuming that the sub is just blown, does that sound right?

If it is just the sub, then I want to just replace it so that it doesnt sound bad (I dont care if it sounds great). I can get a pyle 6 1/2" woofer at walmart for under $20 and I figure that would do the job. Is it possible to get that to work?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the dimensions. Very few (like 2 subs that I know of) fit into the stock box without modification.

What's stock size 6 1/2 right? Mine still sounds great but mid to high volume it loses that oomph

I'm not worried about drilling new holes for screws. If i have to trim down the ring with snips or something that would be fine too. I just want to be able to have a decent level of bass when listening to music. I was just worried about blowing the amp. I'm fairly sure now that the speaker is bad and not the amp since it works fine when working very quietly, however an increase in power causes the sound to distort.

Be warned that if you want to trim the opening in the enclosure, that it will take more than snips. I carved the opening in an OEM enclosure to accept an 8" speaker. Since I did not have the right tools at 10pm, I just used small drill bits, Vice Grips, files, and rotary rasp bits.

First, I outlined the circle I wanted. Then drilled holes side by side around the circle. Pieces were broke off along the way. Files and die grinder bits were used to smooth out the jagged edge.

th_106_0684.jpg

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/106_0684.jpg

In your 95, I think it is 6½...

I'm fairly sure it is 6 1/2" too. I found it here. I just really wanted to confirm that it is blown and that a 4 ohm speaker was correct and wouldn't screw up the amp.

Hah, well I just was reading the reviews for that woofer on the walmart page and a guy said that he used it to replace a blown JBL sub. So I guess it does work lol.

Get it for $13, and if it does not cut it, take it back to WallyWorld for a refund.

Since you are just looking for a replacement, and not expecting much, that is pry a great choice.

It's the depth, not the diameter that is the potential issue. I kind of figured that drilling new screw holes might not be a big deal.

I just finished gutting my JBL system in my 96 explorer limited; the sub is a 6 1/2" driver as discussed, but it's impedance measures in at 6 ohms which means it's an 8 ohm driver. Most automotive subs are 4 ohm drivers and I'm pretty sure that Pyle driver (ha ha ha ha) is rated at 4 ohms. So you're amp might throw a fit and fry itself; the lower impedance allows the amp to draw more current producing more power and, unfortunately, heat (and sometimes distortion). If you could find an 8 ohm or DVC driver with dual 4 ohm coils, that would work great. Otherwise, we'll find out how robust that stock amp is :)

Of course, I've got my stock sub that is sitting around my garage doing absolutely nothing... It could possibly wind up on you're doorstep if you'd like. I've also got the other two amps and head unit lounging around on a shelf getting lonely.

They were one-upped (more like 10-upped) by the subs bigger brother, the JBL GTO804 8" driver fed by an MTX 200 watt RMS amp. Wow..... phenomenal! I cutout the factory enclosure and fabbed up a mounting ring for the bigger woofer. Stuffed a little polyfil in the hole and wired it all up for some good, clean fun.

Oh, and in case anybody is wondering, the stock subwoofer enclosure measures in at just under 10 liters of airspace (that's roughly .35 ft^3) - perfect for the the JBL 8.

I just finished gutting my JBL system in my 96 explorer limited; the sub is a 6 1/2" driver as discussed, but it's impedance measures in at 6 ohms which means it's an 8 ohm driver. Most automotive subs are 4 ohm drivers and I'm pretty sure that Pyle driver (ha ha ha ha) is rated at 4 ohms. So you're amp might throw a fit and fry itself; the lower impedance allows the amp to draw more current producing more power and, unfortunately, heat (and sometimes distortion). If you could find an 8 ohm or DVC driver with dual 4 ohm coils, that would work great. Otherwise, we'll find out how robust that stock amp is :)

Of course, I've got my stock sub that is sitting around my garage doing absolutely nothing... It could possibly wind up on you're doorstep if you'd like. I've also got the other two amps and head unit lounging around on a shelf getting lonely.

They were one-upped (more like 10-upped) by the subs bigger brother, the JBL GTO804 8" driver fed by an MTX 200 watt RMS amp. Wow..... phenomenal! I cutout the factory enclosure and fabbed up a mounting ring for the bigger woofer. Stuffed a little polyfil in the hole and wired it all up for some good, clean fun.

Oh, and in case anybody is wondering, the stock subwoofer enclosure measures in at just under 10 liters of airspace (that's roughly .35 ft^3) - perfect for the the JBL 8.

Thanks for the offer! However, I figure that if I'm going to replace it, I might as well put a new one in since any used one will probably go out sooner than a new one anyways. I did find a super cheap 275 watt WOOFER for 12 bucks on amazon that is rated at 8 ohms. Hey, it has to be great right? It says "high quality" right in the description :crazy:

Awesome! Well if the description says "high quality", where could you possibly go wrong??? Muahahhahahhahha! That $12 is with prime shipping, too (if you're a prime member) - what a deal!! :)

On a side note, one time my buddy got suckered in to buying a 12" white van sub; after he realized he'd been had, we hooked it up in my old bronco to the smaller of the amps I had in there (it was only about 200 watts RMS). It was fun watching it both mechanically destroy itself and smoke the voice coil almost simultaneously ;) The party lasted about 3.7 seconds until the bass line started in the song. Then it was over and we got some burgers.

Awesome! Well if the description says "high quality", where could you possibly go wrong??? Muahahhahahhahha! That $12 is with prime shipping, too (if you're a prime member) - what a deal!! :)

Well, I though so too, so I bought it. I think that it will be a good replacement. When I get it installed, I will post here a short review so other people who want a basic replacement can know how it went.

Well, I bought the sub I talked about earlier and installed it. It sounds great! I was shocked as it worked as a perfect replacement for the old one. The old sub was definitely gone (as in the cone was completely separated from the foam surround).

The only issue that I had was getting the holes to align easily, however I did get all screws to go in without much issue and even use the stock dampener that goes over the sub. You can't even tell anything was done to it.

The sub that I received was an 8 ohm, and I sure hope that was the correct rating. I see a lot of differing opinions on this but I figured that it will be good enough.

Which one did you buy? From Amazon? From WallyMart?

Just double-checking for future reference for others...

Which one did you buy? From Amazon? From WallyMart?

Just double-checking for future reference for others...

Sorry I wasn't specific. I purchased the one on amazon. In my opinion, for the price you can't beat it if you are just looking for a quick replacement that drops right in. Heck The wiring even hooked right up no problem (well actually the tabs came with dabs of solder on them already from the factory so I had to file it but no big deal).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back