96 EB subwoofer not working | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 EB subwoofer not working

I guess you're all set, I don't have the enclosure and can't comment on compatibility with it or what modifications might be needed to mount the speaker.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The stock amp is 85 watts RMS @ 4 ohms. The stock sub is 8" not 6.5". I just replaced my sub with a direct fit Kenwood KFCXW800F and retained the factory amp. Sounds great. You just have to spec an electrically compatible sub. Sub requirements are
8" shallow mount, power range 50-150 watts RMS, peak power +/- 600 watts, frequency response 40-500 Hz or better if you want to spend the $$, sensitivity: 78 dB.
The most important thing is that you get a SHALLOW MOUNT sub. There is only about
2-3/4" to 3" behind the stock enclosure.

just curious, does it matter if its 4 or 8 ohm's? the wright up didn't really say, but it was good info thanks

You would get more power into it from the amp if it's 4 ohms BUT the amp may not like supplying that much current.

If you can get a model # off the amp we may be able to research its capabilities. It's "probably" fine driving a 4 ohm speaker since it is a sub amp but the conservative answer is no, pick an 8 ohm since the original was 8.

ok here is the number for my amp

f57f-18c808-aa

and can anyone suggest a way to get the speaker out? i've removed every screw and bolt i can find, but it wont pop open for me to pull the speaker out

^ I couldn't find any technical specs based on the part # and it's too old to assume it necessarily corresponds to anything in JBL's current product lines, let alone that it could be an altered design for OEM use.

I wouldn't chance it, would stick with same 8 ohms as was in it. It might help if you posted pics of the speaker box. I vaguely recall someone stating it was bolted to the back but I don't remember if that was the same generation or newer Explorers.

It looks like there are three indented areas around the perimeter of the speaker. If those areas don't allow access to mounting bolts then you probably have to pull the whole box out which will require taking the interior trim panel off first.

^ I couldn't find any technical specs based on the part # and it's too old to assume it necessarily corresponds to anything in JBL's current product lines, let alone that it could be an altered design for OEM use.

I wouldn't chance it, would stick with same 8 ohms as was in it. It might help if you posted pics of the speaker box. I vaguely recall someone stating it was bolted to the back but I don't remember if that was the same generation or newer Explorers.

It looks like there are three indented areas around the perimeter of the speaker. If those areas don't allow access to mounting bolts then you probably have to pull the whole box out which will require taking the interior trim panel off first.

Precisely. You have to remove the complete enclosure as the sub is bolted through the backside side of the enclosure. To remove the enclosure you must remove the interior trim quarter panel. Been there, done that. It is the hardest part of removing/replacing the sub. There is a write somewhere here, I think in the Audio/Nav group.

i will put up pics tomorrow of it, but i actually did remove the entire plastic housing, and i can not find bolts screws or clips to remove to take the stupid thing out, its really weird

ok so, there was this foam ring covering up the screws, i didn't even have to take the big plastic thing off of the truck grrrr
and of course no other info on the speaker, so it does not say how many ohm's it is

The replacement sub I installed died about a year later and I replaced it with a 12" enclosed sub woofer about 4-5 years back. Works great.

ok so, there was this foam ring covering up the screws, i didn't even have to take the big plastic thing off of the truck grrrr
and of course no other info on the speaker, so it does not say how many ohm's it is

Measure resistance across the speaker terminals (while unplugged, though it usually doesn't matter much). An 8 ohm speaker usually measures about 6 ohms.

speaker is blown, no nothing across the terminals

^ Oh yeah, lol. I'd just assume it's 8ohm as others were of the same year and size.

Back