Rear Antilock light on dash staying on?... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Antilock light on dash staying on?...

FoxxRocket

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
92XLT 4.0LV6 PushRod 4X4
Guys, Ive just noticed my "REAR ANTILOCK" light is staying on on the dash.
Is this normal, or am I just imagining it never being on.
I am not in 4 Wheel drive,, or anything like that....
Maybe Im just loosing my mind.....but I dont remember it being on all the time. I mean it NEVER goes off.!:)

-Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?..TTT:(

I believe that means that the computer that controls the RABS system has detected a fault. You can retrieve the fault code from the computer in a procedure similar to retrieving fault codes from the ECM. I don't know the porcedure, but I believe it's in a Chilton's manual or perhaps on this board somewhere.

Thanks Shorty!,, Thats what i was thinking!...
I did a search but couldnt find a proceedure for getting the fault....
can anyone elaborate!...

-Chris

It could be 1 of a couple of things. 1st it could be the sensor located on the rear axle is bad. There is a way to test it with an ohm meter but i dont remember how. 2nd it could be the porportioning valve could be bad. Is your brake light on with the abs light? This could be the case then. The way to check is there is a brown connector under the dash by the ebrake pedal with a wire connected to it with an orange stripe I believe. Ground that out with a paper clip and watch how many times the abs light blinks. That will give a code. Do a search on this site for abs codes or something like that to find what they mean, I dont remember but that is how i learned in the first place. If all else fails if you have a brake masters they do a free brake check. Ask them whats wrong. Hope this helps.

I'd check the rear ABS sensorin the axle. Mine went out not too long ago. The part is only 13.00 (plus or minus) at the dealership.

Thanks Guys... Well I havent checked for the code yet, but my rear brake light is not on all the time.
The sensor is only 13 bucks or so at the dealer?..what part in the other thread is the 150.00!....the actual valve?

Thanks guys,, i will be doing the abs check first thing in the morning..!..
Thanks again!

-Chris

Here's another thought.

It could also be that you have too much water in your brake fluid. brake fluid is hygroscopic, and will absorb a considerable amount of water over time, which lowers the specific gravity of the brake fluid. This can confuse the RABS sensor into thinking the fluid pressure is too low, and it kicks the light on. First thing I would try before spending $$$ and effort on fixing something, is getting the system power flushed at a place like Monroe or Midas. Shouldn't cost more than $30 or so. You may have to wait a week or so after the flush to see if it works because the RABS module is on a dead end, and the power flush may not get all the fluid out of the module, and it takes a little time for the new fluid to mix in.

This is what happened to my '92 with RABS. When we pulled the codes on it, it said "low fluid pressure", but the brakes worked fine. We then put a manual pressure gauge on the system, and it checked out OK. Power flushed the system, and about 5 days later, the light went out, and everything was fine.

JD, the entire braking system was replaced about 4 months ago, ie the master cylindar, brake lines , etc....
Ill get the codes this morning and see what it says.....
It probably is the sensor though,, and for 15 bucks is not a bad fix anyway.....
Thanks for the input JD though (thumbs up):)

-Chris

Hey guys,, i just grounded the diagnostic wire (brown w oragne stripe) and it doesnt make the Rear Anti-lock light blink at all!.... What should I try now????,,,, Ive checked the fluid level in the Master Cylindar and everything is fine?.....

Thanks GUYS!...
-CHris

Guys??.. any ideas?.. This has kinda got me worried since I cant get a "conventional" diagnosis of the problem. What would just make the light stay on all the time and not be able to diagnose the problem with the diagnostic wire?

Thanks in advance!..
-Chris

Hi FoxxRocket:

My X also have the same problem for months, but I really don´t know what the hell is goin'on.
Sometimes, when I start the X and quickly release the parking brake while I press the brake pedal, the RABS light come on briefly and thet turn off, as usual.
But when I don't follow this sequence, the RABS light remains on all the time.
Maybe this sequence deceives the RABS module because the pressure applied over the brake system when push the brake pedal, I don´t know.
I though that this matter is out of the scope af an amateur mechanic, so maybe you should take the X to a shop.
However, the malfunction of the RABS does not affects negatively the braking perfomance of the X, but you should be add more caution when make a sudden braking on a slip surface, of course.
Be patient, dude, this is a "test an error" issue.

Andy
:chug:

i have the same problem i think it might be the sensor but the brakes work fine no slip or anything so i dont what the hell is going on

Hmmm,,, Its just worrying me that I cant get the X to see a diagnostic problem when using the diagnostic wire.
Well I did have to sudden stop 2 days ago in highway traffic and the ass-end started sliding really really uncontrollable.!

THIS SUCKS!
-Chris

Back