Rear Drum Shoe Adjustment

Triton46

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
Howdy again!

I just completed a full rear drum 'tune-up'. I began with plans of only changing the rear shoes, but that changed to also changing the rear springs. I then noticed the cylinders were worn out (one of the tips actually shot out while testing), so I picked those up too. Total cost was about $50 (tools included) for both sides. The job lasted about 5 hours, but to be truthful the first one took about 4 hours and the second one only took an hour.

My problem is with fade. When I brake, you can feel the front brakes grab...then the pedal moves closer to the floor...then you can feel the back brakes grab. I beleive there are two problems going on.

1)I need to make sure all the air is out of the fluid on the rear. I did this, however there may have been more air in the lines.

2)The adjuster. I am at somewhat a loss on how to adjust the small screw like 'adjuster' in between the bottom of the two shoes. When I did the brakes I just screwed it all the way in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to Haynes it just says "make a number of forward and reverse stops to adjust the brakes until satisfactory pedal action is obtained"
I guess this will move the self adjusters to take up the slack. Alternately, if they don't seem to be adjusting, tighten them up by hand with a screwdriver so that they are dead tight then just back off until just free. On mine its about eight notches. All the best.

I just did mine today, and I just unscrewed the adjusting screw out until I could just barely get the drum back on over the shoes. It worked really well, and it puts more pressure on the back brakes than the front, so when stopping it is really even and the truck remains level at all times. It also gave me a real firm pedal.

How did you unscrew your adjusting screw (before putting the springs on or after)? I greased mine up really well then put the drum back together. I tried to turn it but the pressure from the springs made it extremely difficult.

I had no problem turning the screw with the springs installed...im not sure what is up with yours :(

Did you use your fingers or a couple of flat-head screwdrivers? (Haynes suggested two flat-heads, however the pic and the verbage were confusing).

Just one flat head screwdriver.

Back