Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

rearview mirror

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Robsbrd99, July 4, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Robsbrd99

Robsbrd99 Active Member

City, State:
      lynchburg VA.
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      05 Explorer Xlt 4.0
      Hey guys,
      The glue holding my rearview mirror on the windshield has failed. Was just dangling by the wires when I got in it. lol. I dont see a screw or allen bolt that loosens the silver piece that the mirror attaches to the windshield with. Anyone know how this comes off so I can glue it back up?

thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. xlt03

xlt03 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Bay Point, CA
      2016 Sport
      Look at where the silver plate points towards the open end of the mirror. There should be a tab that you depress with small screwdriver to disengage the plate. Then off to auto store for the Loctite mirror glue. BTW before removing the plate hold the mirror to the windshield to where is was mounted. Have some hold it for you and go to outside of windshield and use a black marker and make an outline where the silver plate should be. This way you can glue the plate and let it dry prior to reinstalling mirror assembly.

4. Robsbrd99

Robsbrd99 Active Member

City, State:
      lynchburg VA.
      05 Explorer Xlt 4.0
      thank you very much sir. Got it apart and made an outline on the windshield where the old glue was. Glued the silver piece on and put the mirror side up the next day. Worked like a charm.