Relocating Overhead Console Components | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Relocating Overhead Console Components

cwol97401

Reaction score
City, State
Duck Country Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Merc Mounty 5.0L
I hope this landed under the correct heading, I've been up for 22+ hours and have 4 more to go.

So after having my CB wedged between the seat for almost a year I finally figured out a place I want to mount it. It seems to fit nice and tight where the overhead console is located. My problem is I can't just mount it up there and cover everything up that already exists, my OCD just won't let me. Has anyone ever transplanted or modded the console to accept a radio? I have the short console with sunroof which makes things slightly more difficult.

I can get a switch to wire up the the sunroof to make it work and I can get alternative map light fixtures but what do I do about the compass and temp display? My only idea is to rip a rearview mirror out of a gm car that has the readouts inside the mirror but I don't know if it is compatible (i.e. different vss signals and different temp sender part numbers) and using a gm mirror eliminates the availability of auto lamps and dimming mirror. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can easily wire up a GM Gentex temp/compass mirror. I have some available, with GM temp probe, if you want to try. I actually have numerous mirrors with temp probes available. I can look to see the specific model I have, and post pics if interested.

Basic wiring is simple. You can see a basic install of one here: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...nstall-a-Compass-Temperature-Rear-View-Mirror . Not sure which mirror model he used, but the ones I have are the same shape, with the square display in the mirror area.

I was planning on installing one in a early 2000's Ford F250 for my g/f's Dad.

One of my past coworkers installed over five mirrors like I have in assorted vehicles. All work fine. I think one possible issue he had, was mounting the mirror to the windshield. If the mirror's wedge mount was different, he just went to a local glass business, bought the wedge that fit in the mirror, and glued the wedge to the existing wedge for mounting. Simple, and no possible damage trying to remove the existing wedge.

You can easily wire up a GM Gentex temp/compass mirror. I have some available, with GM temp probe, if you want to try. I actually have numerous mirrors with temp probes available. I can look to see the specific model I have, and post pics if interested.

Basic wiring is simple. You can see a basic install of one here: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...nstall-a-Compass-Temperature-Rear-View-Mirror . Not sure which mirror model he used, but the ones I have are the same shape, with the square display in the mirror area.

I looked at this option and I might have seen that thread when I was searching. If I use a gentex mirror, I lose the functions that my current mirror has, specifically the automatic headlights feature. Newer fords have the auto lamps on the dash next to the headlight switch. Not impossible to relocate but not easy either.

If I could find a gentex mirror that has the same shape of the fomoco mirror I could possibly swap the glass and harness but still seems complicated.

No other ideas guys?

No other ideas guys?

Can you post a picture of the area in question?

Also, do you think that the console will support the weight of the radio?

Can you post a picture of the area in question?

Also, do you think that the console will support the weight of the radio?

I'll post pics as soon as I can, I would be mounting through the overhead console to the roof

Back