Overhead console display went dark | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Overhead console display went dark

FRedDE

Reaction score
City, State
Freiburg, Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Highclass (European)
Hi everyone,
yesterday took out the factory radio of my 97 Explorer and replaced it with a Sony Radio which is quite cool. Unfortunately the overhead console with the compass and temperature display is so dark now that one can't read it during the day. When I turn on the lights, the display of the radio dims down like it's supposed to, and the overhead console display becomes readable (glows as bright as it used to with the old radio with lights on).
Does anyone know how to correct that problem? I would appreciate any help...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did you wire it up? With a premade wire kit or cut and join. It sounds like there's a wire not connected right. If you cut and joined look at the old plug and see if there is a jumper wire between two terms. If so replicate on the new wiring. Obviously 12v is not getting to the lights. Hope this helps a bit.

Hello Howard,
I bought adapters from a Ford dealership to connect the radio... it was a set of two adapters, one for the speaker plug and one for the power plug. One would expect that these "official" adapters work just the way they're supposed to but it seems they don't. I'll try to find information about the wiring and see what I can do. Thanks for your help, pointed me into the right direction.

my temp/compass also went blank. did you ever solve your problem? I haven't been able to find any other messages on this problem doing searches.

Hello Howard,
I bought adapters from a Ford dealership to connect the radio... it was a set of two adapters, one for the speaker plug and one for the power plug. One would expect that these "official" adapters work just the way they're supposed to but it seems they don't. I'll try to find information about the wiring and see what I can do. Thanks for your help, pointed me into the right direction.
If you are having a dimming problem because of the radio it is the orange wire, it does not have to be connected.

my temp/compass also went blank. did you ever solve your problem? I haven't been able to find any other messages on this problem doing searches.
Did you try pressing the middle button?

Back