Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Remanufactured 5r55s/5r55w transmission - Any Sugestions

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by Rally Dude?, February 11, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Rally Dude?

Rally Dude? New Member

City, State:
    beer
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2005 Ford Explorer
    I need to replace my 5r55W/s transmission in my 2005 XLT. I am currnetly looking at a quick fix by swapping in a Junik Yard tranny but I am considering either getting my existing re-manufactured or buying a re-manufactured tranny.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy or what to buy to ensure the port problems, selonoid problems and 2-3 band issues are mitigated?

My current issue is the 2-3 shift slip and loss of OD. I have apparently be babying my transmission for a whiclle through my acceleration pattern. Recently had a oil change shop over fill the transmission and 2 hours and one decent hill later it all went south. I've been driving it with the high rev shoft for about 3-months now. I have swapped out the solenoids and tested the OD sensor so I am pretty sure its the transmission. Especially since its tranny #2 and has >100k on it.

Any way I am hoping someone has recomendations on what to look for since these Transmissions are considered one of the most problematic.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. jjr329

jjr329 New Member

City, State:
    North Aurora, IL
    2004 Explorer XLT
  4. Number4

Number4 "I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad." Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Woodstock, GA
    04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
    Missing 3rd gear is a servo bore issue.

Either a complete tear down or usr the updated servo pin as mentioned above.

5. Joe in NY

Joe in NY Active Member

City, State:
    Binghamton, NY
    2002 Eddie Bauer V8 4X4
    could try Jasper engines/transmissions. We bought an engine from them last summer. 3year/100K warranty. Plus they will pay like $95/hour for a shop to fix anything ever wrong with the motor inside 3yr/100k

6. 75ohm

75ohm Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Tampa, Florida
    '17 Sport
    streetsmarttransmission.com

7. JoshMcMadMac

JoshMcMadMac Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Waynesboro, PA
    2002 Mercury Mountaineer
    Get it from www.rockauto.com. They address all the weaknesses, include all the parts you need to just bolt it up, and have a three year warranty. Definitely the best deal out there.