Replacing Radiator... Fan won't come off. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Radiator... Fan won't come off.

Indispensable Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
After my Explorer dumped coolant in the Walmart parking lot I figured it was time to replace the Radiator. After getting the parts and a degree from YouTube university I started the disassembly. Hours later I find myself dirty, cold, and band-aided without the radiator removed. The fan clutch nut won't move a millimeter, I can't remove the fan. I rented the right tools from O'reilly's but they will not move after hours of attempting the removal of the fan. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some are LF thread and some were RH thread. Are you sure you're turning it in the correct direction? The direction is usually embossed on the plastic radiator shroud.

Also, I find a few smacks on the wrench with BFH very helpful. The first one I did I had to beat on for a while. I was about to give up when suddenly it came loose. Once they move a little bit you can usually undo them the rest of the way by hand.

What koda said, usually righty loosey and sometimes need a tap or two.

As I recall, you can remove and replace the radiator without removing the fan blade.

Just remove the fan shroud, and use a little extra care not to damage radiator on the fan.

Good luck with the project.

As I recall, you can remove and replace the radiator without removing the fan blade.

Just remove the fan shroud, and use a little extra care not to damage radiator on the fan.

Good luck with the project.

I believe this is true, at least on a V6. I'd tape a piece of cardboard to the rear face of the radiator to prevent bending up the fins on anything. Use bungee cords to hold the shroud out of your way. I assumed there was a reason you wanted to take the fan off.

Are you sure you're turning it in the correct direction? Also, I find a few smacks on the wrench with BFH very helpful.
This. I have the 5.0. Replaced my radiator few years back. My fan blades had stress cracks, so I just replaced with a new one. Also, the water pump is right there. Just saying, in case you're interested in some pre-emptive maintenance. Good luck.

My radiator shroud says "right hand clutch thread." Look at the top of your shroud.

I finally got it off, I decided to take off the radiator first because I could not get the fan off with it in the way. Also I had an external transmission cooler installed a few years back, the shop that installed it had basically put plastic clips through the radiator so to take it out I had to saw the clips off to remove the radiator. With the radiator removed I was able to take the fan off by hitting the nut with a screwdriver and hammer(sure took long enough). Then it was mostly uneventful. However there is something that worries me, when I was working a spring appeared below my explorer... And I don't where to put it back on... Here is the picture of the spring:
http://imgur.com/a/SOJIT
I fired up my explorer after putting everything together, filled her with coolant started her up and I watched the temperature while idle. There was no great temperature increase after idling after 2-3 minutes, however once I got going around after about a block the temperature increased dramatically after driving up a light hill, I let the engine idle until it was to a normal operating temperature, and after that it spiked once more while idle but after that nothing, is this normal? Everything else ran fine with 5 minutes of driving. Reservoir is the same the following morning. Thanks.

I fired up my explorer after putting everything together, filled her with coolant started her up and I watched the temperature while idle. There was no great temperature increase after idling after 2-3 minutes, however once I got going around after about a block the temperature increased dramatically after driving up a light hill, I let the engine idle until it was to a normal operating temperature, and after that it spiked once more while idle but after that nothing, is this normal? Everything else ran fine with 5 minutes of driving. Reservoir is the same the following morning. Thanks.

You probably have air in the system. Do you need the bleed procedure? It's really easy, and it's here on EF too.

You might check coolant level again by removing the radiator cap, as you might have had some air trapped in the system. Just to be sure.

Sounds like you did well on the project!

That spring might be something from your hood latch, or it may have nothing to do with your vehicle. I've never seen anything like that on any of my trucks. I think if the radiator is full and the temp gauge is now working normally (needle sitting in about the center of the gauge once fully warmed up) any air that was trapped is now burped out.

Those plastic pins to hold the aftermarket trans cooler in from of the radiator/condenser can be purchased separately. They're a one-time use thing. You should be able to get them at most any auto parts store, though they may or may not stock them. It's probably a Hayden trans cooler.

This spring could be a part of an earlier broken belt-tensioner.

Back