• Register Today It's free!

Roadmaster Active Suspension

Jim F

Reaction score
City, State
Martinez, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Did anyone see the episode of Crank & Chrome Sunday. They installed a Roadmaster Active Suspension Kit on a pickup to reduce rearend sag when towing and eliminates lean when cornering.
I found this site: http://www.activesuspension.com/ which outlines what it is, how easy it is to install and its advantages. They have one for the Explorer. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these and how did they work? It seems to be a better solution then an add-a-leaf. At $198.00 for the set, it seems reasonable too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jim,

I can answer your first question I did see the show. I also had the same questions. Now if we can get any experiences that people have had or know about, that would be great.

Thanks for posting the site,
Alan
98 Xplorer

You mean knowone has an opinion about this product. I am only interested in either peoples experience or first impressions.
Thanks 98 Xplorer for your post.

I saw that episode months ago, and asked the same question. I haven't found anyone around here that sells it, but I would still put an add-a-leaf on in addition to the roadmaster kits since it won't correct a sagging spring. It's an Active spring where it takes affect when anything other than a normal load is applied to it. You really can't crank on it and hope it will lift the rear end up. I would like to install it on mine when I can afford it.

Helpful graphics

Maybe this will help:

Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed

I am looking for theories if this would work or if it will be a waste of money.

It works, it just won't correct a sagging spring.

Bump...

Anyone tried this yet?

Haven't tried it, but saw the show a while back, and from an engineering standpoint it should work.

I have the kit installed.

I installed the kit on my 98 Sport about a month ago. I inquired some information from thier web site and the next day they called me on the phone to tell me all about it. Mine was around $220.00 for my application.

I think it tightned the ride up a little. It doesn't seem to be as bouncy on uneven pavement.

I don't tow anything or haul anything heavy that much. I like the way it handles now.

Tommy

Dug this up using the search.....

Yep, it's an old thread, but I was wondering if others are using the
'Roadmaster Active Suspension' setup?

I'm seriously considering this for my 00 Sport.

Update

OK, I've had my Roadmaster kit on for several weeks now, and thought I'd give an update:

It was an easy install, but I did it in two Saturday afternoons, one side at a time. I did have to completely remove the spring end from the hanger, since there wasn't clearance enough to install the rear RAS attachment without removal. Other than that it was easy, just takes some time.

It's a worthwhile mod. Before the kit, the Sport would rock back and forth when going over speed bumps; now it's rock solid, no rocking at all. Even though I have the EE rear sway bar, the RAS increased the stability going around curves. It was apparent on the first test drive. Handling is much improved.
After adjusting the RAS to the indicated specs, it gave about 1/2" of lift to the truck. Just about the amount of spring sag I had, so that was a plus.

Bottom line is that it's well worth the time and money to install this kit, even if you don't tow or haul stuff. I did it for the improved handling, and am well satisfied with the results.
Regards,
ROE

Can anyone else tell more about this product on an Explorer?

RAS System

I spoke with Dave (National Sales Mgr) over at RAS and he said that this system will not let sagging take place once tightened. However, the axle does need to be dropped to allow the tension to be released from springs prior to installation. If this step is skipped then height will not return to factory. I am purchasing this system this week and will take detailed before and after pictures. Another reason why I'm trying it is they have a 100% money back gaurantee. They sold 16,000 kits last year and only 3 came back. Those numbers are good enough to make me open up my wallet and give it a try.

If you have any questions give Dave or Ryan a call for detailed specs.
800-398-5036.

Did he tell you how much work was involved in the installation of? (Not that it is a bad product, but one reason there are not many returns is because of all the work that is involved, no one would want to do it all over again & ship them back!)

Let me know the results of them when you have them installed.

I'm sure this product has a place.... somewhere... but to me, it looks like a stop gap for a problem that needs an actual repair and not an add on.

Back