Serpentine belt/ tensioner pulley issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serpentine belt/ tensioner pulley issues

Mr.Terry

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Help! My tensioner, apparently, decided to give up the ghost today, or so it would seem. I have enough slack in the belt that it can easily be slid off any of the pulleys, and when I start the truck (96xlt 4.0) the crankshaft pulley just spins freely, no squaeks or anything. If I reach in (while the motors off) and push the tensioner to its limit, it *barely* spins the belt.

Im under the assumption that the tensioner isnt supposed to be able to be pushed with my fingers...so it would need replaced? Does that require removal of the alternator? It appears as though the tensioner is a secondary item to the alternator bracket, and not integral to the casting. Should I get a new one, or boneyard?

Help, I'm kinda stranded here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the spring broke. You need a new tensioner, there pretty cheap and easy to replace.
Make sure you get the whole assy, not just the tensioner pully.

yeah it appears to be toast. 40 bucks gets me a new one. coulda been worse, i suppose...i found out sitting in the driveway and not on the road. Strangely enough i was about to hit the road for a day trip across the state, for no reason other than to ride around in the AC, since I have none in the house. Gettin to sweat in the heat all day is a small price to pay over whatever a tow would have cost me from 100+ miles away.

I noticed that my tensioner pulley jumps back and forth while the truck is running. Is it supposed to stay pretty stable or would this be considered normal?

I noticed that my tensioner pulley jumps back and forth while the truck is running. Is it supposed to stay pretty stable or would this be considered normal?
No,it ain't normal.

It sounds like the pulley bearing may have gone bad. Not sure what vehicle this is on but was carry serpintine belt tensioners and pulleys. Here's a link to the sporttrac one.

Ford Sport Trac Serpentine Belt Tensioner

Back