• Register Today It's free!

Shifting into 4wd

redShift

Reaction score
City, State
Suwanee, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
on my 96, I have a knob with the options of 2wd, 4wauto and 4wlow.

According to the owner's manual, I can shift into 4wdauto on the fly, but that to shift into 4wdlow, I have to stop and shift into neutral to change into 4low.

Is this totally true? i hate it when I have to stop totally and wait for it to shift.

Also, do I have to be stopped? Can I be coasting in neutral and shift into 4low then shift back into drive?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no way arround it, and yes ya have to stop. If ya don't, youll stress the transfer case too much, if it will even let ya do it while your moving. It only takes a second to go intop 4 low anyhow.

There is a switch that permits the low to engage only when the X is in neutral and has the brake depressed. That is another reason it is not a true "shift on the fly"system.

The actual description for my '97 Control Trac is that you have to be in neutral, have foot on brake and be traveling less than 5 MPH to switch it to Low. Now, if I have my foot on my brake and am in neutral, if I'm not going slower than 5 MPH, I will be shortly. I would think that in the couple of seconds it takes everything to switch over to Low, my Explorer would come to a stop. I've never tried doing it at 5 MPH though. I always do it while I'm stopped.

I was just wondering how chevy's (and probably others) allow you to shift to anything on the fly when you cant with a ford. Two of my friends have S10's and they dont have to stop at all.

To go into 4-low they don't have to stop? I've never seen that before.

Well, if you wanna shift on the fly go buy a Chevy:rolleyes: They are built to do that. S-10's also suck. I couldn't possibly shift my X into low while coasting. My brake has to be pushed most of the way. Just fully stop, it only takes a second.

Back