Some Questions

TaKing

Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XL
Hello everyone!
So I just recently picked up my first Ford. It's a 1997 Ford Explorer XL, 4 door w/ AWD, and less than 90k miles.
I'm definitely going to keep it for at least a few years, so I've decided to put a little money into it. This thing is really basic, so I would like to add just a few cosmetic things to it. Please don't yell at me or call me dumb for some of the questions I'm asking, I really have no clue. :)

So far I've added a new radio, new speakers on door, a subwoofer, and an alarm w/ automatic door locks in the front. HID's are on the way

1. A center console. This is something that every one of my friends has told me to get. I've been looking around online but I'm not sure if any of those are even made for my car. If anybody knows where to get one, please let me know!

2. I'm looking for some side steps for my car. I'm not even sure if my car is even capable. There's a bunch of expensive side steps you can buy online, but I definitely don't want to jump on that without knowing.

3. New door panels would be awesome.. The one's I have are made of a really cheap plastic, and don't have that little pocket to hold stuff in. Which would be convenient.

Any and all help is really appreciated! I'm super lost with this kind of stuff so thanks in advance for your time + help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what type of center console are you looking for? for bothe the consol and the sidesteps, if you dont want to spend tons of money on aftermarket parts, get yourself some tools and start getting comfortable at your local pick n pull. this will save you money and it can be quite fun. i love finding junkyard gems.

The center console I'm looking for is like the one with a cupholder and an armrest type of thing. I've only found one so far for sale and it's like 100 bucks after shipping.
A lot of people have told me to hit the pick n pull but I haven't taken the time to go yet. Looks like that might be a good idea though.
Thanks man!

I'm with LONO. Go to a local auto wrecker. They are one of the most valuable places out there for cheap decent used parts. Saves you hundreds! I got a brand new front bumper for 250 bucks off of an explorer that got rear ended.

Two hundred is still a lot for me though :/
I don't need, but would like a new front + rear bumper, since mine have huge dents in them... but not for 250 each.

try picknpull.com you can look up the yard nearest you and even their inventory of explorers. their prices are also on the website.

Two hundred is still a lot for me though :/
I don't need, but would like a new front + rear bumper, since mine have huge dents in them... but not for 250 each.

Trust me 250 is a decent price for a brand new bumper if you can find it. If you go to a dealer, you are looking at an EASY $500. They charge you for every damn part of the bumper, the reinforcement, plastic parts, and bumper cover!

just looked it up on their website and consoles go for 28 bucks and door cards for 18 bucks.
Thanks! Any clue what tools I might need to bring to the junkyard?

also

Any clue if the front bumpers with the fog light slots would fit on my explorer? and if you can put on one of those ram racks on the front?
The bumper I have is like one big metal piece. Effective but ugly.. Not too long ago I ran into a cement pillar and it left a huge dent, but I think the pillar was more hurt than my car haha

im not sure on your bumper question, hopefully someone who is more familiar with your particular x can chime in. as for tools to bring with you to the yard, just get yourself a tool bag or a bucket and fill it with a ratchet set, a set of wrenches, a good assortment of screwdrivers, a couple crescent wrenches, and an assortment of pliers and a pair of channel locks. good luck!

Sweet. Thanks a bunch man. Appreciate it!

My explorer has the fog lights in the bumper. all 95-01 explorers have the same front ends so if you find a bumper with the fog lights in it it should bolt right on.

Definitely the junkyard run- you can get everything there that you're looking for. Running boards as well- your truck is already set for them, you just pull off the lower plastic cladding, pull the plugs covering the holes behind the rockers, and bolt them in. The top edge of the running boards snap into the holes left when you remove your plastic trim. Get the brackets and everything... :thumbsup:

These:

1997_ford_explorer_4_dr_xlt_awd_suv-pic-9852.jpg

If you grab a center console, make sure to grab the metal mounting plate from the floor when you do- you'll need it to attach the console to your floor...

Back