• Register Today It's free!

spare wheel

kevin209

Reaction score
City, State
bristol uk
Year, Model & Trim Level
hi
dose anybody know of a swingaway spare wheel mount for a 1998 x as i have a lpg conversion and cannot cary the spare.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope you can find one. But as a poor alternative, consider carrying an air pump, and a tire repair kit(a good $20 version). I can fix a tire much faster than you can change a tire. Good luck,
DonW

CDW6212R said:
I hope you can find one. But as a poor alternative, consider carrying an air pump, and a tire repair kit(a good $20 version). I can fix a tire much faster than you can change a tire. Good luck,
DonW

Can you fix a blow out? :rolleyes:

What about one of the ones that hold a tire standing up in the cargo area, sorta like a blazer, might be worth sacrificing some cargo area.

kevin209 said:
hi
dose anybody know of a swingaway spare wheel mount for a 1998 x as i have a lpg conversion and cannot cary the spare.
Kevin if you find one I'ld love to know , I've got LPG too and had anti puncture gel put in the tyres, this was a complete waste of time as I couldn't get the wheels to balance at all so the X would shake all over the place at about 70mph . So the gel's gone and now I've got the spare propped up in the boot to one side ,held in place with a few elastic hooks . It was mentioned to me that the stud pattern on a Jeep might be the same as the Explorer and that the Cherokee might have a space saver type spare , I need to look into this as this might be a better solution if I can get hold of one . ;)

Dave :uk:

Nope, can't fix a blow out. Never had one. I did make one assumption, that he wouldn't be offroading, hitting obstacles, etc.
I have had one tire that I could not fix. Thus I have used my spare once. Once in about 150,000 miles. I am a Rural Carrier, and I have fixed easily 50-75 flats, on my own mail vehicle, while on the vehicle, on the route. Yes I have been fortunate, and yes I carry a spare under my 93 Explorer.

Check into the inside mounted spares. The new right-hand-drive Jeeps have them new. Good luck,
DonW

CDW6212R said:
Nope, can't fix a blow out. Never had one. I did make one assumption, that he wouldn't be offroading, hitting obstacles, etc.
I have had one tire that I could not fix. Thus I have used my spare once. Once in about 150,000 miles. I am a Rural Carrier, and I have fixed easily 50-75 flats, on my own mail vehicle, while on the vehicle, on the route. Yes I have been fortunate, and yes I carry a spare under my 93 Explorer.

Check into the inside mounted spares. The new right-hand-drive Jeeps have them new. Good luck,
DonW

I've never had a flat :rolleyes: Dosn't mean it will not happen. So I guess I've been really lucky too.

Anyway, so one on the board used a aftermarket one from a S-10 Blazer. There are also the type that bolt on to your bumper, however they look horrible I think

I have a 33" spare in my cargo area upright.. You should have no problems fitting one in there as well. Then again I also have onboard air and a tire plug kit.

Spare wheel carrier

Hi Kevin, I've just returned from Krakow in Poland where I photographed a spare wheel carrier mounted on the back of an Explorer (pre 1998). It looked like a custom job but worked well. Contact me and I'll email the picture. I'm getting one made for my '99 Explorer. Dave :exp:

Hi Kevin, I've just returned from Krakow in Poland where I photographed a spare wheel carrier mounted on the back of an Explorer (pre 1998). It looked like a custom job but worked well. Contact me and I'll email the picture. I'm getting one made for my '99 Explorer. Dave :exp:

Hi Dave,
Sorry to bump an old thread, but do you still have the picture? Did you get one made for your Exp?

Thanks

Hi is there anybody who have any pictures of spare wheel carrier? i have same problem with LPG tank.

I have one I used a third gen rear bumper with out the outer skin and welded on my carrier. So far have had no issues with it.

New 97 40.jpg New 97 41.jpg

I got one from RLC Welding Looks good and works great, bonus of a Jerry can holder included.

20211213_085043.jpg

Back