• Register Today It's free!

ST driving impressions

I bleed Ford Blue

Reaction score
City, State
North Olmsted
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Yesterday I took my 18 sport in to have new roof rail clips installed and while I was waiting for my explorer to get finished they let me test drive a 20 ST. Now for reference my DD is an 18 explorer sport that is bone stock and running 87 octane, and my toy is a 17 mustang GT convertible that puts 425 hp to the tires. At first I tried it normal driving mode and it didn't feel much if any faster than my 18 sport even tho it has 35 more hp and 65 more tq, then I tried it in sport mode and what a difference. Now I know it still has 400/415 hp/tq but with the more aggressive shift strategy and throttle mapping does wonders for how it drives and feels.

Now for the wants or what I feel ford missed the mark on,

If ford is listening they should allow the ST to default into the sport driving mode, not normal. If you buying an ST it is for the performance so don't make us have to turn the driving mode knob every time we get in the car. If not that then allow it to stay in the last selected mode until the driver decides to change it.

The ST should come from the factory with about 450-460 hp and 480-500 tq, don't make us get there with a tune and risk voiding our warranty.

And finally, with the new explorer being rear wheel drive based, changing the final drive ratio is possible. Give us a choice of what we want, and with roughly 5,000 lbs and 30" tall tires a 3.73 ratio would do wonders for the explorer ST

Back