Stalling problem. HELP

X24

RAMajama
Reaction score
City, State
Pleasant Valley, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 RAM 2500 TURBO DIESEL
I've got a 98 XLT SOHC with 57K and I have a problem. Lately I have been having trouble with it stalling or almost stalling. Sometimes when I shift from reverse to drive it almost stalls out. I usually catch it before it totally dies and keep it going. About 2 weeks ago, I was coasting down a hill and it stalled out while going down the hill. I thought it was becasuse I was low on gas because when I rolled down to the bottom of the hill it started right back up. I drove to the gas station and just as I pulled in, it stalled again. After I filled up it started fine once again. On the way home I let my foot off the gas and it almost stalled again but I caught it. Tonight, it had sat for about 3 hours and then I started it up and drove 20 seconds down the road and it stalled out again. I had a full tank of gas. It starts fine after it stalls.

What could be causing this? IAC valve? Spark plugs? Wires? What is the easiest thing to check? Where should I start? I have not replaced any of those things since I bought it at 43K.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My bet would be for the IAC valve.

yup, most likely IAC since it always happens without pedal.

Those were my thoughts too. The IAC valve is under the throttle body cover and just twists out? I've never had that shield off so I'm not sure what it looks like under there.

I just remembered that my spark plugs are those double platnium ones that are good for 100K. $10 each.

IAC: 2 bolts and a harness.

Back