Low Idle and Stalling Sometimes ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Low Idle and Stalling Sometimes ??

ToneDog

Reaction score
City, State
Valley Stream, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
When I start my '98 Sport the idle will rise then drop to about 1100rpm sit for alittle and finally relax just above the 500rpm mark. When I engage the transmission there is no change in idle, and no change at engaged stop either, but when I turn the wheel to parallel park or switch from (D) to (R) the idle will dip somestimes even stall. It also happened to me one time while making a turn at about 20mph and when to hit the gas to accelerate hard out of the turnthe idle dipped "Big Time" but didn't stall, it caught it self just before stall.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,
Tonedog

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

? ? ?

I had an idle prob. till last week . On cold starts the idle would climb to 1200 and then drop to 400 , sometimes it would die out . Turns out it was my air filter . I cleaned it and the prob. is solved . I have a K&N it was so dirty I probably was only gettin' about 25% of my air ...

If you have a 4.0l OHV motor you may have a bad AIC. A test you can do is start the truck.. let it warm up.. then turn on the A/C. If the idle drops and stays low the AIC isn't working.. If it stays the same or drops then returns to normal the AIC is working..

The AIC (sometimes called the IAC).. Air Idle Control (Idle Air Control) is about $80

~Mark

REE: MY '98 QUIRKS !

IT'S A 4.0L SOHC

The SOHC has the IAC also. I think that is probably the cause of your problem as well.

Re: IAC

Yeah but if it was a bad IAC then why would it raise the idle (normal) during initial startup, then sit alittle above normal for about a min and then settle at just above the 500rpm mark?

That all sounds like a functioning IAC to me

and there is no change when the A/C is on

It's having a problem when the wheel is turned at idle, that's when it dips, commmbine that with a chenge of gears and wala! Stall!

Does everyone still think it's the IAC??

oh, and thatnks for all your helpful replies!

Tonedog

i know ur problem exactly.. i sent my 98 v8 in for this problem about a month ago.. while it was in they replaced my battery (i think my old one was still good). then told me that my ball joints were shot and that my rear torsion bars were bent...finally after 1000 worth of repairs did they realize that it was stalling .. what u need to replace is ur AIC or IAC. cant remember which but its this little thing called the idle are control valve...mine cost like 170 at ford...but then again that is ford

Have you considered the O2 sensor.

Back