• Register Today It's free!

Strange gunk on oil cap

Sleb

Reaction score
City, State
MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLT
I change my oil every 5000km regularly and only have ever used 100% synthetic. Today when I did my routine oil change I found this gunk in the oil cap (pics attached). I have never seen this before, when I cleaned it off with a rag it felt damp. What the hell is this? Did I some how get moisture in the engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did I some how get moisture in the engine?

Yes

Last time I saw anything that color in the oil was when the coolant was leaking into the engine. Hope that isn't your case.

-mc

That does look like you are getting coolant into the oil. You need to get that fixed ASAP or it will ruin your engine.

I would pull my plugs and see if I could tell if it is a cracked head or blown head gasket. There is other ways the coolant can get into the oil, but I would start there.

I would check the PCV.

Do you do alot of short trips? It happens on my parents car. Mom only drives 1 mile to work round trip. condensation

I have just started to work at a new site which is about 1.5 miles away, so overs the last 5 weeks the truck has only had short trips on it

That could very well be the reason, as the motor probably never gets hot enough to burn extra condensation off, so it keeps on accumulating.

I checked the PCV valve and its clean; I live in Canada and in the morning it's below 0 and the afternoons are above 0, the condensation that I now see on the oil cap is crystal clear drops (no antifreeze in there) so cold weather and short trips seem to be causing condensation in the highest point of the engine which is the oil cap. I'll keep my eye on it just to make sure. Thanks for all your help.........

What brand oil are you using? Mobil 1???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back