Suspension: shocks, anti-sway bar, links... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension: shocks, anti-sway bar, links...

Reaction score
City, State
Miami beach, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sportrac
... I want to improve my ST handling so i need advise from the best, i done some research and i think my choices for shocks are: ranchos 9000xl, bilsteins, gabriel...?
Are the adjustables ranchosrs9000 really make a difference when going from soft to hard? Or should i just get the ranchos5000?... I really don't tow but i do load up the bed heavily sometimes.

I was looking to buy new front and rear anti-sway bar, any recomendations?, i can't really find good info about this. A link would be amazing :thumbsup:

Any promotions going on right now that you know off or discount codes?

Any other advise to improve my handling?

Thank you for your valuable time

2003 sportrac with 207.000+ miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are three aftermarket REAR sway bars available for 1995-01 Explorer's including 2001-05 ST's. Explorer Express X-Spec, Addco 633, or Hellwig 7648. The ST front sway bar is solid requiring only the rear upgrade. Consider the Monroe rear load adjust shocks that are designed for up to 1100 lbs. of additional rear weight. Search 58617, many posts. Research the linked lowered sub forum for handling upgrades regardless whether you lower or not.

Seriously Lowered Explorer - Ranger Suspension Tech
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

Street Truck & Performance Forums
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Just did my entire front end and rear sway bar drop links. Stilll need to change the rear sway bar bushings. All Moog. Everything went on perfectly.
Dave P.

There are current rebates for rancho- until 6/30. Not sure on other brands. Rock auto also has 5% off for explorer forum members

Explorer express is what I have read on sway bars. Why not just put new energy suspension bushings for sway bar and new moog links (or moog/ES combo)? See how you like that. ES also has lateral locks that are supposed to help handling-sway bar shift (I think). No experience but have been thinking about it myself.

I am going to jump on the rancho rebate before its up with the 9000s. Mainly for the adjustability and name

Not sure what else can be done, always interested in hearing from others

Thought I read how tire pressure is also a forgotten but important step to better handling (I think) and mpg

On march 30. I posted all the suspension parts i changed with part numbers. I would link it but can't figure it out on my cell phone. Dave p.

Yes, the RS9000s make a significant difference between soft and hard. I have them on my Explorer (SAS/SOA). On pavement I run with them on full stiff and they combat bodyroll pretty well. On the trail they are at 3-5 (9 being full stiff). If I run with them like that on pavement, it's very soft.

And that's with mine being significantly taller than yours (ie- I have a longer lever arm acting on the springs to roll sideways).

Thank you everyone, i read and think about everything you guys said, very helpful post.

So based on all of that i'm leaning towards: getting the ranchos rs9000xl , if rock auto has a 5% discount all 4 should come out to be $323.96. Otd, is this a good deal?
The rear sway bar only (as swshawaii recommended) going with addco is, $200 (waiting for any discounts from vendor)
For the front i do want to get new end links and ad new bushings to the sway bar.
"Sr139fox", can you post that link of yours of the entire front end and suspension parts, please.

Thanks.

Don't forget the rancho rebate- although it's a mail in, that would drop the total another 106 if you go with the 9000 for all 4 corners

Don't forget the rancho rebate- although it's a mail in, that would drop the total another 106 if you go with the 9000 for all 4 corners

You are a genius! I didn't even see that:thumbsup: do you know the rock auto 5% off code? :D

... And will be searching for those other post:thumbsup:

The rear sway bar going with addco is, $200 (waiting for any discounts from vendor)

EE X-Spec is by far the most popular and preferred rear sway bar on this forum. It is also the largest at 1.125" compared to the 1" Addco and Hellwig. I'm using the Addco only because EE wouldn't budge on their least expensive ground shipping here for over $125. If the shipped prices aren't too far apart, save for the EE bar. On occasion they come up for sale used on the forum.

For the front i do want to get new end links and ad new bushings to the sway bar.

Energy Suspension polyurethane front frame bushing and end link kits. Graphite impregnated black recommended and use provided lube to prevent squeaks.

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.5155 (34mm) 4WD
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.5157 (29mm) RWD

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/4.5153 (19mm) 4WD and RWD

Hey guys. Thank you again for the answers.
Just got one more:
How can i find the right diameter of my front sway bar?... I was going to buy everything from rock auto but i realize there are diferent sizes for the bushings.

explorer sportrac, end 2002/2003

Amazing!
Thank you swshawaii, i really apreciate all your help on this site and mysportrac :thumbsup: looking for a ruler now :D

Looks like my front left upper ball joint is busted... One more project, lucky me :D
Now i'm going to replace both control arms
I just saw a video on how to replace the whole control arm and looks pretty straight forward. any tips for that job? :scratch:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back