Switching to synthetic oil at 145k? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Switching to synthetic oil at 145k?

Burnout

Reaction score
City, State
North Quincy, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
Hey folks,

My lovely Explorer got totalled recently when a woman who was too old to drive decided her car should be in the same place mine was. :(

So I started looking at new cars, used cars, thinking about what I wanted and eventually it came to me that... I should just get another Explorer! So I did. Still an 04, a lower trim but it's the color I've always wanted my old one to be and I don't drive much so I'm as happy as I can be all things considered. Pictures to come in an appropriate post later. :)

Only thing is, on my old one I had been using full synthetic from about 60k miles to 115k when it met its untimely demise. Like I said I don't drive much, maybe 7.5k annually, and I honestly was changing it about once a year. This Ex has seen normal oil for its 145k miles. Would it be useless to start using synthetic at this point?

Thanks.
-B

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got mine at 135k. Immediately started running Mobile one in it. It now has 170k on it.

I got mine at 135k. Immediately started running Mobile one in it. It now has 170k on it.

Hopefully the Mobile One didn't cause what I see in your profile picture. I'd certainly like to avoid that. :D

Heh, thanks. Suppose I might as well, it's hardly an additional cost especially for the low amount of times I do changes.

Hopefully the Mobile One didn't cause what I see in your profile picture. I'd certainly like to avoid that. :D

Unless deer are attracted to synthetic oil, I'd say no.

I don't know if the whole 'switching to synthetic oil causes leaks' is true or not, but I'd imagine if it was, it was an older engine issue. By older, I mean older designs and building processes.

It was based on the premise that if the car/truck is sealed up by mostly gunk and the strong detergent action of synthetic removes them. So if by luck it's clean at that high mileage the change to synthetic will do no harm. It's the same story with flushing transmission on high mileage cars/trucks, shop will let you sign a waiver that they are not liable for any transmission damage after the flush or they'll just recommend a drain and fill instead.

I have switched to synthetic on both of my explorers. At first I was using Valvoline MaxLife, but later I started using Mobil 1 Extended Performance. I have always used a Mobile 1 oil filter. I get the 5 quart jug of Mobile 1 at Walmart for $26-$28 and I watch out for when it's on sale. I haven't found a great place to get the Mobile 1 filters, so I end up paying $10-$12 for those.

I have never had any leaks develop after switching to synthetic. My first explorer was a Gen 1 and it ran for 19 years, although it just barely made it to the dealer to trade in for the next one. I have put ~50,000 miles on the next one and it's up to about 140,000 with no significant engine issues. I change the oil twice a year regardless of the mileage, which works out to every 3,500-5,000 miles.

Has anyone tried the Advanced Fuel Economy version of Mobile 1? I don't know if it comes in 5W-20 or not. It would be nice to know if there was an oil that would improve mileage a bit.

LMHmedchem

OP, if you're still on the fence about switching to full syn, Mobil 1, Pennzoil, and Valvoline are just
a few brands that offer high mileage (75k or higher) full synthetic oils with extra seal conditioners.
This is something I should be thinking about. It probably doesn't make any sense for me to use Extended Performance when I change the oil so often. I believe the main benefit of EP is that it will last for up to 15,000 miles, which I never get close to. Since I am at 140,000, it probably makes much more sense to go with Mobil 1 High Mileage. It costs a couple of bucks less as well.

Is there any other benefit to Extended Performance other than the slow breakdown?

LMHmedchem

My dilemma is driving under 6k per year but wanting to use the highest quality oil when the maximum time
interval is usually ONE year. And I ALWAYS change the filter, especially at the bargain the Motorcraft FL-820S is.

Motorcraft FL-820S Oil Filter Cutaway Comparison
Motorcraft FL-820S Oil Filter Cutaway Comparison

I've been using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Unlike other synthetics that use a crude oil base, the PUP is made from natural gas. It is suppose to resist breakdown better. YMMV.

I have switched every vehicle I have owned to synthetic in the last 10 years,regardless of mileage, and have never had a problem with leaks or engine trouble. I try to do a 5,000 miles or 6 month schedule.

I bought my wife's '04 4.0Flex fuel in '10 with 95K on it, unknown maintenance by previous owner. I immediately changed the oil with Motorcraft syn blend 5w30 (I know its not full syn) and FL820S filters. Changed every 5K, now has 145K on the engine and not looking back...... My local wallyworld just started selling the 5w30 in $18 5-qt jug, saves me $5 every oil change

Back