• Register Today It's free!

TCC Solenoid Questions

cougar190

Reaction score
City, State
Stamping Ground,Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002,Mountaineer,AWD
Hey Folks: New to this Forum ! Wife just bought a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD and I've got a question about the TCC solenoid. In doing research here and Google about the flashing O/D light and I think I'll be replacing that solenoid. Specs on her Mountaineer are as follows, 4.6L V8, , 5R55S AUTOMATIC , AWD . In my searching it looks like the OEM part# is F77Z-7G136-AA. When I do a search @ Ebay I get a lot of hits for parts that they say interchange but when I look at each part with the "check to see if part fits My vehicles" it says "Not Compatible". I guess I'm a cheap-skate but I'm just trying to find the "Right" part (or one that will interchange) at the cheapest price ! Any assistance would be appreciated !! By the way we have tried to code it but our code reader (cheap one) wont show any codes. Also our CEL,MIL light whatever you want to call it "is NOT on" Again I Appreciate your hep in this matter ! Thanks, ...cougar...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Folks: New to this Forum ! Wife just bought a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer AWD and I've got a question about the TCC solenoid. In doing research here and Google about the flashing O/D light and I think I'll be replacing that solenoid. Specs on her Mountaineer are as follows, 4.6L V8, , 5R55S AUTOMATIC , AWD . In my searching it looks like the OEM part# is F77Z-7G136-AA. When I do a search @ Ebay I get a lot of hits for parts that they say interchange but when I look at each part with the "check to see if part fits My vehicles" it says "Not Compatible". I guess I'm a cheap-skate but I'm just trying to find the "Right" part (or one that will interchange) at the cheapest price ! Any assistance would be appreciated !! By the way we have tried to code it but our code reader (cheap one) wont show any codes. Also our CEL,MIL light whatever you want to call it "is NOT on" Again I Appreciate your hep in this matter ! Thanks, ...cougar...
@cougar190
First, 5R55S uses an integrated solenoid module which has all 8 (!) solenoids mounted together, not individually replaceable. Makes it more expensive to do a "hit-miss" job. The flashing O/D OFF light is not always indicative of TCC trouble: it is used to alert the driver to any of a number of faults. However, if you feel the TCC is not functioning properly, you can easily check it out using your own senses.

When the TCC is engaged, LIGHT added throttle pressure causes no upswing of engine rpms on your tachometer. Not engaged, the tach will immediately jump up in rpms.

Therefore, if you get the vehicle up to cruising speed on flat, non-hilly roadway with minimal throttle, the TCC should be engaged. Slight throttle increase should show no jump in rpms.

While accelerating under nice, easy throttle, each shift is visible on the tach, as a drop in rpms. First drop is shift to 2nd. gear, second shift 3rd. gear, third is 4th. gear, fourth is 5th. gear, Overdrive. THEN another drop will show up, looking like a shift into a "6th." gear: that is the TCC locking up. If that fifth drop on the tach fails to be present, slight throttle increase will show a jump in rpms, confirming a failed clutch lock-up. imp

This Mountaineer was bought from a Chevy/Dodge (Ugh) dealers back row (ready to go to auction section) for $800 out the door ! We knew it was going to need some work when purchased. But we're Ford fans, together we currently own 7 titled Fords, "90,"92,(2) "94's,"05 Rangers, 1 "79 F-150 and now her "02 Mountaineer. It has only been driven once, the night it was brought home (approx. 20 mls.). It was below freezing that night,drizzling and the blend door is messed up so no heat. LOLOL ! The O/D light was flashing and the tranny was slipping quite badly. Since it has been in the 30's or below since I haven't been able to check it out yet (no enclosed building). We have a cheap code reader but as stated above with No warning lights CEL/MIL it's not seeing any codes.

Buying a Good code reader definitely what I need to do ! Besides I'm kind of a tools/knowledge freak.

TechGuru; You mention ForScan, which I've seen mentioned a number of times in my research so far. Please don't misunderstand. I'm Not trying to get you to do my work for me, it's just that I'm not versed in Exactly what I need and don't want to waste money on a scanner that isn't what I need ! In looking on Ebay I've found a number of readers that look like what I need but reading at the "ForScan" home page they Caution about "clones" that are not fully compatible. So I ask you to take a look and give your opinion Please. I've seen cheaper ones ($13-$14) from China but I don't want to wait till possibly May to read the codes. That being said, would this be a Good choice? Ebay No# 123236569587 . Again Not having the knowledge to make the correct choice I defer to you ! Thank you for your time and assistance in this matter ! Thanks ...cougar...

This Mountaineer was bought from a Chevy/Dodge (Ugh) dealers back row (ready to go to auction section) for $800 out the door ! We knew it was going to need some work when purchased. But we're Ford fans, together we currently own 7 titled Fords, "90,"92,(2) "94's,"05 Rangers, 1 "79 F-150 and now her "02 Mountaineer. It has only been driven once, the night it was brought home (approx. 20 mls.). It was below freezing that night,drizzling and the blend door is messed up so no heat. LOLOL ! The O/D light was flashing and the tranny was slipping quite badly. Since it has been in the 30's or below since I haven't been able to check it out yet (no enclosed building). We have a cheap code reader but as stated above with No warning lights CEL/MIL it's not seeing any codes.

Buying a Good code reader definitely what I need to do ! Besides I'm kind of a tools/knowledge freak.

TechGuru; You mention ForScan, which I've seen mentioned a number of times in my research so far. Please don't misunderstand. I'm Not trying to get you to do my work for me, it's just that I'm not versed in Exactly what I need and don't want to waste money on a scanner that isn't what I need ! In looking on Ebay I've found a number of readers that look like what I need but reading at the "ForScan" home page they Caution about "clones" that are not fully compatible. So I ask you to take a look and give your opinion Please. I've seen cheaper ones ($13-$14) from China but I don't want to wait till possibly May to read the codes. That being said, would this be a Good choice? Ebay No# 123236569587 . Again Not having the knowledge to make the correct choice I defer to you ! Thank you for your time and assistance in this matter ! Thanks ...cougar...

The one you need is this one: https://www.scantool.net/obdlink-sx/ You can get it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZWM0R4

The Explorer does not require the other Ford modes.

TechGuru; I appreciate your links to the correct scanner ! Although I ordered my through Ebay. It cost $3.35 more but I already have an account set-up there with all needed info and I've had difficulties at Amazon. No problem ! Also I appreciate your links for the info on the 5W55W/S which I also downloaded. Again Thank You for your time and assistance in this matter ! ...cougar...

Back