Thumping when braking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jbullion

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
I replaced my brake pads and rotors - and my e-brake shoes - on my 2000 Ford Explorer 4WD. At first all was fine, but then I started getting a really obnoxious whump whump whump sound from my right rear every time I brake. Its frequency is related to the speed of the truck, and it stops as soon as I take my foot off the brake. I took the brake back apart on that side, retightened everything, but the sound won't go away. Could this be a bad caliper? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you have the same problem prior to replacing the rotors and shoes? Also, sounds like something is hindering the wheel from properly rotating and is binding or rubbing against the rotor. Would recheck your installation (Rotor/Shoe/Pads) ensure everything is clean from grease and that you cleaned and lubricate the parts that need to be lubricated.

A bad caliper is usually caused by a sticking or binding piston. Is the rotor excessively hot after driving? Splash shields not rubbing? If not, I suspect the noise is parking brake related since you serviced them at the same time. Parking brake shoes adjusted?

If you purchased the least expensive Chinese rotor that the parts store had, it's probably what's left of the wristwatch that got tossed in the melting pot when the rotor was cast.

Seriously, sometimes rotors get a hard spot in the casting. Swap right to left and see if the noise moves.

Bill

Thanks

Thanks, guys. I did not have this problem beforehand, and don't have it in any of the other wheels. Don't know if the rotor is hot, but will try to check it after a drive. I am suspicious of that parking brake - may have to rework it (I hate those springs!!)

Bill after going through six bad chinese drums on a Taurus, I paid three times as much and ordered Motorcraft... Better drum, but still Made in China :-(

J just swap the rotor to other side. See if the noise follows it.

Also check for wheel runout, there are thickness issues at the hub area on Chinese rotors, and I see runout up to .75" (total) at the tread. So you are likely looking at a bad rotor or pad.

no change

Swapped rotors from one side to the other - no change. Also swapped tired - still no change.

Hmmm I would check for free movement of the caliper and pins. And make sure the caliper bracket is tight.

+1 for drdoom's advice. Then, since the trouble didn't follow the rotor/tire to the other wheel, I'd suspect something with the e-brake work. Good luck.

I get a thump on my 99 explorer. Same thing. Pads rotors and parking brake all new. When I release the brake from a stop and start rolling forward that is when it thumps.. developed a squeal as well when braking. Everything was new. Need to take it back and warranty their work..

Check the slide pins for free movement on the rear calipers-it seems our GM fullsize vans have a habit of seizing the pins in the aluminum caliper brackets, and the "thump-thump-thump" when braking is the first sign of that having occurred.

Bill

Back