Tips for Timing Chain Service on 4.6L V8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tips for Timing Chain Service on 4.6L V8

Actually after cleaning the chains up. I found the discolored links. It's only on one side of the chains so it's easy to miss if your not looking close enough. Thanks though. Also thanks to SyberTiger for this write up. It helped a lot!

I too found this a big help.

I am a OLD Mechanic, I was servicing and repairing cars as a teenager at 16 in 1965.

Although I became a A/C service a decade later and then a TV repairman a few year later, I maintained and fixed up my own cars ever sense.

Back in the day rebuilt parts were the norm.

Now it is mainly new. But over the past couple of decades I have found and see how badly made almost all replacement parts from China are made. Poor grade metal, even cast brake rotors with unmelted bolts IN THEM.

I have a friend who is/was a mobile mechanic who is so sick and tired of parts that do not fit, that do not last past even a 90 day warrentee.

I personally have put in parts bought off eBay and Amerzon that do not last every long, I would say use such parts just before you sell the car...if you that kind of stinker.

Almost all crank shafts, cams and lifters are so sadly subject to major failure, the flat tappet and cams are a major problem for engine re-builders. Many last year never survived braking in.

Hell even buying factory parts from say Ford your still very likely buying replacement parts made in China, the only plus is Ford quality control, they make a bigger effort making sure the parts are well made.

In my book Nothing matches original factory made parts, I even will use a good original part over a new cheap China made part.

Watching a video of how tight new chains are when replacing the guilds and tensorers I will test the chains on my engine before Just replacing them even with my bought from a Real Ford Dealer chains, because again a good original part bets a new unknown most likely China part even when sold by Ford and in their boxes/packages.

A good old rule is "Don't Fix what an't broke."

I was sicken to see chains, guilds, tenesoners, and a OIL PUMP selling in a kit for around $175.00, these parts from a real Ford Dealer with a major discount WITHOUT the oil pump costs around $300.00.

Guys how cheap are these parts made for carparts.com to sell them and make money on them BE??

I am also a Crown Vic owner, these 4.6 have a rep of running 150K in police service, then being sold to Taxi companies and going another 150K.

Keep it stock.

My 2 cents worth.

Rich

Back