• Register Today It's free!

Tires For Explorer Sport

cstew47

Reaction score
City, State
Sabaneta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
Hi all. I just bought a 2001 Sport and have joined this forum to learn more about what everybody is doing with similar vehicles. By way of background, I am a car guy - gearhead. I have owned and built many muscle cars. Now I want to go more into the SUV scene. I currently live in Colombia (South America). Now to my question. I know that the largest advertised tire for the Sport is 255/70/16, however, I ma looking for some feedback from anybody who has gone with a larger diameter and tread width without rubbing or putting in a lift kit. Thanks guys. I look forward to a great exchange of ideas here.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can normally get by with a 265/75R16 with minor plastic trimming and no lift. Look at the forum to see some examples. Also you can lift these 1.5" easy by adjusting the torsion bars and putting longer shackles or adding another leaf spring to the rear. The search feature is your friend on this site...

Biggest tire I was able to run with no modifications was a 31x11.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler A/T (long since out of production in that size).

As a follow-up, I just put a set of Hancook Dynapro 275/70-16 AT's on my 01 Sport. They fit fine. In fact, it's possible I could fit 285/75's. There is no body or suspension lift. They look great.

pics?

Pictures Of My Tires

Well, I haven't figured out how to insert photos diectly to this forum, so, here is a photo bucket link. Hope it works.

Explorer%20Tires

Pictures Of My Tires

Well, thta didn't work. Do you have to be an elite member to post pics?

Tires For My Explorer

That seemed to work. Enjoy.

Back