• Register Today It's free!

Carpin

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer
Hi,

I'm planning to get a new tires for my 2001 Spor Trac 4X4 (Premium Sport Package), I'm still running on the originals Michelin 255/70R16, but I want to try some new All Terrain, I'm torn between the following options:

1. BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2 (Pricey but nice)
2. Yokohama Geolander A/T-S (Best Price)
3. Toyo Open Country (Good looking)
4. Suggestion????

I don't go off road very often but I like the way the Sport Trac looks with the All Terrain type. By the way I live in a really dry and hot weather (Palm Springs)

What's your recommendation? Durability, performance, better looking, etc. I'll appreciate any help you can get me to take a decision on this.

Also, I'm feeling tempted to get a bigger tire, somebody recommended the 265/75R16 but I don't know if those will fit my truck, any recommendation in a bigger tire would be nice, I don't want to lift it or compromise safety or stability

Regards

EM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I love my Toyo AT2s. Can't say enough about them as far as ride improvement (compared to stock Goodyear Wranglers) traction in sand/grass (no experience with mud as she's my pavement princess lol). Very quiet on the highway and easy to balance especially for big 35" 10 ply tires. The actual measured sizes are taller than most comparable tires of the same listed size, and they have more tread depth. Plus in my mind, you can't beat their warranty with any other AT or MT.

D1245C1D-2172-4448-B19F-26151668D7E5_zpsnh6u9uyd.jpg

D9EFCFAD-8771-40C8-937D-4BC143A7C42F_zpsxklb4ldv.jpg

I have the Yokohama's on my Expedition. They are doing great. Nice ride, quite and have done well when I have taken them off road. I also had them on my F-150 FX4. Lots of compliments on the look of the tire also. With a little lift you can get the 265/75/16's on your ST. I have that size on my white ST.

Little lift? What do you mean?

I just found the 245/75r16 are about the same size but I can save about 40 dlls for each tire in the bfg ko2. What do you guys think about those?

There's a silver Trac on here than ran that size a few years ago. They look better than stock for sure but they won't look as beefy as the 265s. You'll save weight with the skinnier tired too.

There's a silver Trac on here than ran that size a few years ago. They look better than stock for sure but they won't look as beefy as the 265s. You'll save weight with the skinnier tired too.

I thought so, what about stability? any change on that?

By the way, it's possible to install the 265/75R16 without lifting?

Biggest tire without any lift is 265/70/16. I've run the BFG'S, too heavy, they wear uneven if you don't keep them rotated and truck aligned religiously. Duratrac's by Goodyear are awesome tires and cheaper than BFG'S by far. Search around the net for tires, buying from a tire shop is way more expensive. I just bought 265/75/16 Duratrac's for $173 a tire with free shipping from discount tire direct, paid the $24 extra for warranty but still saved $57 each over buying at the cheapest local tire shop. Great rebates and prices on there.

Biggest tire without any lift is 265/70/16. I've run the BFG'S, too heavy, they wear uneven if you don't keep them rotated and truck aligned religiously. Duratrac's by Goodyear are awesome tires and cheaper than BFG'S by far. Search around the net for tires, buying from a tire shop is way more expensive. I just bought 265/75/16 Duratrac's for $173 a tire with free shipping from discount tire direct, paid the $24 extra for warranty but still saved $57 each over buying at the cheapest local tire shop. Great rebates and prices on there.

Thanks for your input, I think I'll go for the 265/75R16, I will invest some time lifting it, but I think it will be worth it.

A little is usually the torsion twist in the front, add a leaf or shackle in the rear. Make sure to get an alignment after the torsion twist. Read the lift sticky above for greater details.

Hi Guys,

I just got the 265/75R16 BF Goodrich from Costco, it was a great deal O had the set for $670 installation included.

I'll post some pictures Before and After.

The ST looks GREAT

Back