• Register Today It's free!

Tranny leak

jvsnowden

Reaction score
City, State
TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Eddie Bauer 5.0L AWD
Thanks in advance for the advice and help. I have a 96 5.0L AWD Eddie B Explorer. A couple of days ago I noticed a burning smell coming from under the vehicle. Upon checking it out I found that there was a leak coming from a large round plug on the transmission. My question is, is it the plug that is leaking or is there something under it that is loose or leaking?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

large round plug? hurm... can it be tightened or anything do you have and pics

What color is the fluid that is leaking? 2 years ago I also noticed a "burnt smell" and looked under the vehicle and transmission fluid was dripping on the exhaust. Found out it was a seal around the torque converter.

the large round plug is the access plug for the torque converter.... unless the drainplug on the torque converter is leaking its probably a bad seal around the torque converter shaft going into the tranny..... on another note ... if your truck is not used to hard acceraration and you floor it a few times you will get a smell of sulfur or rotten eggs.... this is the cats burning all the crap out of them.... but for your sake i hope its not the leak as you have to pull the whole tranny to do that....

97BLACK, What do I need to do to inspect it to make sure its not the torque converter leaking.

Back