• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Problem - HELP!!

thaiphoon

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
I have a 2000 Mountaineer V8 AWD with 90k miles on it. Recently the transmission has "clunked" into gear at the second shift after accelerating from a dead stop. The transmission will clunk again when crusing and it wants to settle on a smaller gear (OD?). Below 50mph when I want to punch it and accelerate quickly it clunks into gear but above 50mph it does not.

I have taken it to a dealership for a flush and fill but this did not solve the problem. Initially I thought it was a transmission filter problem but the service manager told me that the flush and fill cleans out the particles and refurbishes the filter.

What the dealership did tell me that needs to be fixed?

1.) Lower front ball joints and
2.) Output shaft seal on Transfer Case

Could either of these cause the clunking problem? I'm having them fixed at the end of this month. but I also want to have a reasonable expectation of success if they should solve the problem.

BTW- I own very few tools and know little about diagnosing and fixing automobile problems so I generally rely on a decent shop to do major fixes (I can do some minor stuff). If anyone has an idea on what the problem is and what I can expect to pay for the fix please let me know !!

sawatdee krup

thaiphoon said:
2.) Output shaft seal on Transfer Case
I doubt the rear output seal of the transfer case is causing the clunk. You can check whether or not the seal needs to be replaced by looking for any leakage at the rear output shaft of the transfer case.

If you do find a leak at the rear output shaft, it could be related to the clunk. In other words, the "clunking" part could have caused enough vibration that, in time, wore down the rear output seal. Two common parts that sometimes clunk once they are worn down are u-joints at the driveshaft(s), and bearings at the differential(s).

thaiphoon said:
1.) Lower front ball joints
The lower ball joints could potentially clunk if it was worn out. Worn ball joints often "groan" when the vehicle is making a slow sharp turn (say pulling into a parking lot). Does your vehicle "groan"?

Unless youre absolutely sure its the transmission thats causing the clunk, I would look into other things that could possibly cause the clunk because things such as u-joints and differential bearings are known to wear down - and "clunk" once your press on the gas pedal and rapidly remove your foot from the gas pedal.

Sawadee Krub ! Pud Thai Nidnoi !!

Thanks for your response. I'll answer your questions.

No groaning. So ball joints are probably ruled out huh ?

The clunking sound appears if rapidly accelerating under 50mph and also if pedal is eased off and it wants to settle into OD under 50mph. It does not clunk on the first shift (1rst to 2nd) from a dead stop... just the second shift (2nd to 3rd??) Occassionally it will shudder instead of clunk but this shudder only happens during the same shift. The shudder feels alot like running over those raised lines before a toll booth or those on the side of the road that are there to wake you up.

If it is the U joints or differential bearings...what would these repairs run me?

Back