Transmission Answer Needed!!- Replace "Replcement" or Repair "Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Answer Needed!!- Replace "Replcement" or Repair "Replacement

kpexp

Reaction score
City, State
south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
explorer 98 xlt sohc
Hello, Gang! I'm brand new to the club and totally stressed out. I've been on this site for almost 3 hours trying to find answers so that I wouldn't have to bore you with repetition but couldn't find a specific answer so here goes!

First The Problem: I just bought a 98 explorer 4WD SOHC from a friend who sold it because the transmission just stopped working altogether. I verified this myself by trying to put it into all the gears but it just sits and feels like it's in neutral. Instead of doing the smart thing and going to the internet to see if there was a way I could diagnose and probably fix the problem myself, I bought a used transmission from a reputable salvage yard. My mechanic has since put the "new" one in and has just informed me that it will only go into first. It will NOT go into Reverse, 2nd, 3rd or 4th; it will get up to about 25 rpms and not shift further.

The Question: I've read thru literally dozens of the different posts on thissite and although I myself am not mechanically gifted, i can see that the problem with the "new" transmission may be related to the Govenor, Intermediate Band, Valve Body issue, etc. What do you think it is?

The Bigger Question: The Salvage yard gives me a 30 day gaurantee on the transmission, which allows me to get another one or get my money back. The problem is that my mechanic tells me he would have to charge me the labor AGAIN if I were to have to get another replacement. SO, would you advise me to try to repair the current installed one from the salvage yard and thereby possibly voiding my warranty clauses OR should I return it and either get my money back or swap it for another one and have to eat the several hundreds of dollars in labor cost to have another one installed again?

Please help, K

First, welcome to EF! Is the OD light or CEL flashing? Check the ECU for trouble codes and get back to us...

Back