• Register Today It's free!

Trouble starting and then dies

bevo39

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93
I have a 2001 Explorer XLT. I went to start it this morning and the following happened: It started to turn over, but wouldn't. I then turned the key and pumped the gas which casued it to start but it dies unless I continue to give it gas. I tried this a few hours later and the same thing happened. I thought it might be the cold weather, but I didn't have any problems the previous day when it was just as cold. I also thought it could be the fuel pump, but didn't have any luck trying to reset the fuel pump from following the owner's guide. Any thoughts? This is our "good" car and right now it won't move. Thanks. Let me know if I need to give a better description of the situation.

If it runs fine with your foot on the gas, you likely have a bad IAC. Normally more of a problem with SOHC engines. Sometimes a light tap with a small hammer will help to identify a faulty IAC.

What is an IAC and when you tap it witht he hammer, what should I listen or look for? Thanks for the help I really appreaciate it. I apologize for my car ignorance.

Idle Air Control... if it is an SOHC engine, remove the plastic cover over the upper intake (held on with four 7mm bolts) and there will be a silver valve that is cylindrical with a 2 wire black connector on one end, and bolted down with two 8mm bolts at the other end. Lightly tap the valve and see if the engine will idle. There is nothing to listen for, and failures are not visable. Excuse me for using metric fastener sizes, but I am Canadian... so there!!

Back