• Register Today It's free!

'94 starting problem

adwriter73

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I've searched the forums and found three possibilities: solenoid, crankshaft position sensor, relay switch. Don't know which, if any, to check out.

Here's the situation: I turn the ignition switch and nothing happens. All the lights come on, fuel pump runs, but nothing else. After several tries, it eventually starts right up. If it turns over, it starts up. On cold starts, I have to give it a little gas to keep the engine running. So, any thoughts? What should I look at?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have two problems"

"If it turns over, it starts up. " If the starter fails to crank, try the neutral position. It may be te safety interlock switch. At any time you can jumper the two large terminals on the starter solenoid located on the fender. Just turn the key to on and then jumper terms to crank the starter. These solenoids also go bad.

"On cold starts, I have to give it a little gas to keep the engine running. " That could be anything from needing new wires and plugs to temp sensor, IAC etc. That will take more detail

For your first problem. it could also be a faulty ignition switch.

I recently had the same problem and found it to be the starter. If it doesn't start, get under the truck and tap on the starter with a hammer. If it starts, then your problem is the starter, which is not hard to replace if you want to do it yourself.

I had to move over the past couple of days, so I have not had a chance to look over all the suggestions that have been posted. But I have noticed this much, which may help narrow down things to look at. If I turn the ignition key all the way--meaning try to start it--I can hold it in that position then about 5 to 10 seconds it will turn over and start right up. If the explorer is really cold, I have to try it several times. I heard a lot of clicking and "sparking" sounds this morning, as if it was trying to make a connection. Once it did, it turned over and started up. Does this help?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by adwriter73
I heard a lot of clicking and "sparking" sounds this morning, as if it was trying to make a connection. Once it did, it turned over and started up.
Sounds like a bad connection. It may be the power wire, the relay or the starter itself. I read the main power wire corrodes from the inside and goes bad sometimes.

An easy way to check is to put the key in run position and jump the starter relay on the fender well with a screwdriver. Follow the positive battery lead, it should connect to one side of the solenoid and the starter to the other. All the relay does is close the circuit when you turn the key, a signal voltage is sent on the other small wire.

The reason it only does it when it is cold is because the oil is thicker and it requires more power to turn the engine over, which requires more electrical current.

My bet is on the starter.

Back