Ultra-Gauge 5$ off! Limited Time Only... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ultra-Gauge 5$ off! Limited Time Only...

Jury still out on mine...

I have had mine in the Explorer since Friday last week and I have seen it turn on and then wait a while then turn on continually...Maybe it is overheated, maybe it is possessed!!!

I pulled out the scan tool today and compared the engine temps... The scan tool still reads higher than the ultra gauge but it is still lower than the thermostat set temp...Strange...

The gauges I read are the tach and speed at A& B...Then the LTFT at C and D and about to go with voltage and something else at E and F...

To me the mpg and gallons to empty are useless since it is not real time or accurate... I did try this on a dealership 2011 Dodge Charger and the newer vehicles have more info at their disposal...

I will check the O2 voltages if the UG will read them...My scan tool will not read them on the Explorer so I bet the UG won't read them on the Explorer either...

I still can't wait until this unit will read tranny temps...And no I am not holding my breath...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I pulled out the scan tool today and compared the engine temps... The scan tool still reads higher than the ultra gauge but it is still lower than the thermostat set temp...Strange...

What did you get as a engine coolant temp? I was reading 185 degrees at a normal idle, and it would move around a bit based on speed, engine load. My thermostat was replaced with a NAPA part last year.

I set it to read b1 s1 and b1 s2 o2 sensors and it worked just fine. The Honda has wideband sensors so the voltages were different, but it worked. It kept it "around" .5V on s1 and the s2 one would range from 0.000 (coasting, in gear) to 1.2 in open loop.

~Mark

What did you get as a engine coolant temp? I was reading 185 degrees at a normal idle, and it would move around a bit based on speed, engine load. My thermostat was replaced with a NAPA part last year.

I am seeing between 170-180F while driving and up to 183F when first starting up after a heatsoak period... My scan tool reads a couple degrees higher than the UG but I am running an OEM thermostat...And I think it is either 192 or 195 F...

I think I will be changing the thermostat this weekend...Especially since I was routinely seeing 188-194 F in the previous months and I don't think a thermostat would or should lose its temperature range of operation...

I still can't wait until this unit will read tranny temps...And no I am not holding my breath...

That X-Gauge setting is very nice on the SG. I recently programmed it and the TFT is one of my 4 "full time" gauges now. I'm doing a big road trip through the mountains in a few days, so am interested to see what sort of readings I get.

X-gauge on the UG can't be that hard to implement in future releases. Maybe at their price point it doesn't make sense. I personally love the SGII, but can see the appeal of the UG especially being so cheap. No buyer's remorse from my side though. The Scangauge is still a good value for what it does, IMHO.

To me the mpg and gallons to empty are useless since it is not real time or accurate... I did try this on a dealership 2011 Dodge Charger and the newer vehicles have more info at their disposal...

Our 06 mustang has built in DTE etc and its actually no more accurate than the one on the ultragauge when used on our Honda. The DTE on the ultragauge is based off of the "trip" mileage which I don't reset so its similar to the DTE on the Mustang which is based off of the last few hundred miles (I can't remember the exact number).

The Fuel level on the Ultragauge is based off of the miles driven since the last fill up and the MPG. The Ultragauge is always within 1/2 gallon or so of what it really is on a 12 gallon tank which is right in line with the mustang that can read up to 3/4 gallon off of what I can actually fit into the tank. Of course, part of this is how much is really going into the tank. We tend to fill up at the same pump (at least station) but it doesn't always happen.

It took me about 4 fill ups to dial in the calibration number for the MPG and Fuel used.

~Mark

Thought I'd update my situation. I returned my gauge( Atleast i got to use it once to clear a CEL on my GF's car). I was refunded for the price, minus the shipping costs I paid, plus I had to pay my own return shipping, so I am out like 12 bucks on this. They said they hooked it up to a test machine and it passed. That means I have a faulty computer that does not send speed, rpm related info.

Back