Ultra-Gauge 5$ off! Limited Time Only... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ultra-Gauge 5$ off! Limited Time Only...

Gauge layout will be key. I'm back to using the factory configuration, But I'm still debating what gauges I want..

Since the Honda has a tach, I find myself really only using it daily for instant and average MPG, distance to empty and fuel left. Otherwise I use it for reading the pending codes (it has an alarm when one is set) and to check/clear the pending and real codes.

As for where to put it.. I left mind in the bottom left of the windsheild. I just have the cable piled up there for now as I really need to move it off the dash to keep it out of the sun even if I have the windshield shade to try to keep the temps down on it. I've seen > 170F a few times reported when I start the car.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope you are right...

It will probably be here tomorrow, 2 day shipping pretty much!

I like it, but its WAY smaller than what I thought, and really confusing. I havent changed the gauge layouts yet. I still cant figure out where to put it.

BTW does yours read the tranny temp yet? Or is it an update for later in the year?

Hm, not sure:dunno: Havent played with it enough, I have the Fiesta right now, the gauge is at home in my X.

Gauge layout will be key. I'm back to using the factory configuration, But I'm still debating what gauges I want..

Since the Honda has a tach, I find myself really only using it daily for instant and average MPG, distance to empty and fuel left. Otherwise I use it for reading the pending codes (it has an alarm when one is set) and to check/clear the pending and real codes.

As for where to put it.. I left mind in the bottom left of the windsheild. I just have the cable piled up there for now as I really need to move it off the dash to keep it out of the sun even if I have the windshield shade to try to keep the temps down on it. I've seen > 170F a few times reported when I start the car.

~Mark

Didnt even see this reply! But as for now, mines mounted under my mirror, but thats temporary. Todays the only day ive had off since I got it, and its been raining, so a more permanent spot will have to wait.

I turned the alerts off, because I have an EGR code, and it kept popping up like every 3 minutes or so telling me.

Good news for me...

My USPS site link just popped up that my Ultra Gauge will be here tomorrow!!!Yee ha...

Told you :D

Mounting spots...

I am thinking of mounting it at the base of the windshield next to the A-pillar.. I thought of the message center location but my radios and the laptop mount is in the way....

I really cant find a spot id like to mount it perminently. I really HATE the fact that the buttons are on the back. I mean not that your always messing with it, but when you want to, its gotta be in an open spot to reach them. One button is towards the left side on the back, the other 2 are on the upper and lower right.

Goodies in the mailbox today!!!!

Got the UltraGauge in the mail and it is small...I think I will mount it somewhere around the top of the instrument bezel...Once I got it to read the OBD II port and turn on and turn off I was looking at the gauges it found...This use will be configured to read the LTFT, engine temps, and a few of the other PCM values it found.... BTW it found 37 gauge values but some of those it apparently can't configure like the fuel values and mpg gauges...And it does not read the tranny temp either...

Wahhhhh....But it still gives me a lot of useful information and keeps me from pulling out the code scanner every time I want to knowwhats up with the control systems...

And I can't wait to try it on a newer car....

Even thought it can't read the mpg gauge, it can figure it out and its actually somewhat accurate. You can also set the size of the tank and it will keep track of how much you used (based on what it thinks your mileage is). It has conversion factors so you can tweak it if you find its not reading quite accurate enough.

And As small as it is, the display is actually big. I have no issues reading the text at all.. I'd say the text is even bigger than that on the LCD on the radio.

~Mark

I am finding the small size of the Ultra Gauge an easy spot to mount...And I do like the display output as my cabin has a maze of other stuff covering lots of space...

I do wish the power/data cable were detachable though...But I can live with it as it is...I will just make it a permanent mount....

According to Ultra Gauge...

My engine is running below or around 180 f...The only problem is that I am running a 192 or 195 thermostat...

Has anyone seen a difference in the engine temperature being reported? My code scanner usually reads engine temps in the 188-194 range...

02 Explorer XLS
Had mine a few days now. I like it but now after using it a few days. I'm sure I could have lived without it.

Anyway I mounted it in the lowest left part of the windshield. It rests right near the pillar so its somewhat out of sight unless you look inside at specific angle. The suction cup is even hidden by my square park decal.

I wondered what 6 gauges you guys chose for your main screen. Its nice to have the 12 more available but some that info is just mumbo jumbo to me. I like the instant mpg and average mpg. Really dont need mph or rpm when thats in my dash.

Also having prob figuring out how to reset the fuel to full after I fill up.

Im still playing with the gauges but so far the three I know I will keep on screen 1 is inst mpg, mpg and dte. I am still debating what else to lease on screen 1.

To reset gas used just hold the top right button until it beeps. Thats top right when you are facing the gauge front. To reset mpg etc you have to go into gause setup and reset the info you want, like all mpg data etc.

~Mark

I also mounted mine on the lower left area of the windshield...but I am not so pleased with mine as of now. I cannot get several gauges to read anything. I did get the start up issue solved(wasn't turning on every time). I still get nothing for mph, distance, mpg, and no voltage readings on my o2 sensor stats.

Wow, I never expected to see issues with the ultragauge. I just plugged ours in, did the setup routine (so it could find the gauges) and things just work. It even works when it way over heated (UG temp of 180F). Never had it not turn on etc.. It just works... go figure...

I did add another gauge to screen 1, the Fuel level (its not real, its based on mpg and distance since the odb-II on the honda won't read that).

I don't think I played with o2 sensor readings yet. I'll go make sure they are working.

~Mark

Wow, I never expected to see issues with the ultragauge. I just plugged ours in, did the setup routine (so it could find the gauges) and things just work. It even works when it way over heated (UG temp of 180F). Never had it not turn on etc.. It just works... go figure...

I did add another gauge to screen 1, the Fuel level (its not real, its based on mpg and distance since the odb-II on the honda won't read that).

I don't think I played with o2 sensor readings yet. I'll go make sure they are working.

~Mark

I know, all I read was great reviews. I submitted my issue to their help desk, so we shall see what they have to say about it. Not sure if its a faulty unit, or it just needs a setting or protocol changed or something.

UG said this to me:

Vince,

Its extremely unlikely that UG is faulty. Faults usually result in UG powering off. If the gauges read 0 with the engine running, and the health indicator is beating, the issue is likely your vehicle. To demonstrate this, try UG in any other pre-2005 Ford and see if you observe the same behavior.
A close 2nd for another vehicle would be a pre-2007 GM vehicle, as both Ford and Chevy use the same circuitry within UG.

Best regards,

UltraGauge Support

off to test it in another car i guess:dunno:...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So..... Everything works on my parents 98 Olds Bravada. MPH, MPG, O2 stats, and the engine load is more realistic, on the ex it reads 30ish% at idle, the olds reads 3-4% at idle. They claim this means the vehicle is at fault. I have a hard time believing i have a faulty computer.... So I have 4 choices:

1)Keep it as a OBD scanner(doubt its abilities to read anything on the ex, as it read past codes on the Olds, but not the Ex)

2)Exchange it for another one claiming it as faulty, and hope a new one works

3)Ask for a full refund.

4)Sell it to my brother if he wants it.

Back