• Register Today It's free!

vents to lower underhood temps

exsport1211

Reaction score
City, State
las vegas nevada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford explorer sport
after living in the desert for 3 years im starting to notice when i park my truck the extreme heat from the engine area.the truck doesnt run hot or anything just want to help keep it cooler . watching xfactors progress ive been thinking of attempting his fender vents but running a tube from the outside to inside fender and running electric fans to help extract the hot air

xfactors page

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223201&page=3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Or you can mount Naca ducts in the front fenders panels...They can move air into the inner fender area when moving to cool the engine bay...

Check this link for an example...Hell I wish I had a picture of my 73 Mach 1... It has naca ducts in the front fenders from the factory...

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3627

I still like the cowl hood...

110j82a.jpg

sgimx4.jpg

dfamfl.jpg

Cowl = Chevy......no way around it.

Ryan

Yea there is.. see ^^^ if you actually look and appreciate... you see that it's skinnier in the front to wider in the back.. not a chevy cowl hood thing...

ford + cowl = chevy... umm.. I don't think so!
so you're saying you don't like the Cobra R cowl hoods for mustangs??

Look closer..they are not a Cowl Induction Hood....

And besides, a Cowl Induction is pretty much useless on a Direct Port EFI Engine...

The 03/04 Cobra Hoods a called Heat Extractor hoods....FOR A REASON...

And that is what I modeled my hood after...

Ryan

-- Axial, I believe Ryan has a point on the cowled hood being a Chevy thing, main reason being that not many fords that i can think of came with a single tier cowl hood from the factory or have many aftermarket. The mustangs have them, but they're not as common. and the cobra R hood was more bubbled then cowled there was not clear cut down just rounded. With that being said, your truck still looks amazing because it's one off and custom no one can say that your's is a Chevy truck. (even though IIRC, you got your cowl from your shop teacher, because he didn't have the time to put it on his Camaro). It's still a nice improvement to the rather plain second gen hood. I was thinking of getting a hood like xfactor put on his eventually if my x hadn't died... :(

To the OP, if you get a cold air intake or one that pulls from the fender directly your issue will be in a round about way solved. the under hood temps won't be lowered but your engine won't be pulling in hot air, another option would be to get a black magic electric fan, there's a write up on here by the late Aldive that was very informative. With that it will keep your temps very low and should help as it's not clutch driven and won't bother your motor if it's in stop and go traffic.

Just my .02 cents

Justin

Look closer..they are not a Cowl Induction Hood....

And besides, a Cowl Induction is pretty much useless on a Direct Port EFI Engine...

The 03/04 Cobra Hoods a called Heat Extractor hoods....FOR A REASON...

And that is what I modeled my hood after...

Ryan

Actually mine helps alot.. my 302 produces A LOT of heat.. and the cowl helps it a lot...

And yes I've seen yours... and it is a true heat extractor, and yes like the 03/04 cobra and they do look good...

OOOOO I LIKE. Any details or a write up on how this was done?

Nope.. I don't have a write-up, I didn't have time to take pictures of the process that I used... but I could easily tell you the steps..

I bought a fiberglass cowl from an instructor... 40 bucks.

I bought a used hood... 10 bucks.

So first step was figure out where I was going to place it and marked out everything...
I ground off all the paint in the area that I was going to fiberglass bond the cowl...
I marked and drilled holes about every 3-4 inches around the cowl and into the hood...
Laid down some resin and fiberglass mat and set the cowl on that.. riveted them together.. and let tack up..
Next laid down another layer of resin and mat over edges of the cowl to forsure secure them as one layer...
Finally layered on the plastic body filler, and sanded until smooth... it's easy as that...

-- Axial, I believe Ryan has a point on the cowled hood being a Chevy thing, main reason being that not many fords that i can think of came with a single tier cowl hood from the factory or have many aftermarket. The mustangs have them, but they're not as common. and the cobra R hood was more bubbled then cowled there was not clear cut down just rounded. With that being said, your truck still looks amazing because it's one off and custom no one can say that your's is a Chevy truck. (even though IIRC, you got your cowl from your shop teacher, because he didn't have the time to put it on his Camaro). It's still a nice improvement to the rather plain second gen hood. I was thinking of getting a hood like xfactor put on his eventually if my x hadn't died... :(

To the OP, if you get a cold air intake or one that pulls from the fender directly your issue will be in a round about way solved. the under hood temps won't be lowered but your engine won't be pulling in hot air, another option would be to get a black magic electric fan, there's a write up on here by the late Aldive that was very informative. With that it will keep your temps very low and should help as it's not clutch driven and won't bother your motor if it's in stop and go traffic.

Just my .02 cents

Justin

Yea.. I was actually talking about the cobra r hoods for the foxbody's... not the 94-97 body style true cobra r... the double layered cowl?? If you look at the side angle view of my hood.. you can see the second style line on the factory hood still there.. kinda giving it a cobra r look...

And again as I posted above... look at most chevy cowl hoods compared to mine.. not even similar really.. they basically make a distinct edge before dropping down to the hood...( it wasn't a true camaro cowl I don't think... he was just going to put it on his camaro)

I do have an electric fan on my 302 powered sport.. I do not though have a CAI... might do that eventually... With the underside of my hood cut out...not including the support ... it does suck a lot of heat out...

I'm actually planning on repainting the hood.. since that's all done in rattle can paint right there... color matched though.. oxford white..
I wanna full white hood with clearcoat this time... and the silver/grey of my fenderflares will be down the sides of my cowl.. with a 5.0 painted in Orange on the farthest back portion of the side of the cowl...

this is the type of hood you were thinking>> correct??
2resm4j.jpg

this is the type that I was after...
14wsjtg.jpg

and this is what I think of when you guys say chevy cowl hood
wiwqvp.jpg

Yep.. and if I made a Heat extractor hood.. it would be more like this one...
THE FORD GT... HUGE extractor ports... though the engine is in the rear?
28tjjms.jpg

Here's just a sectioned part of a hood...
5l0y7o.jpg

...But the Radiator is in the front....

My friend has one...

Ok..ok.. I didn't think of that..

Back