• Register Today It's free!

what should i do

KillerKidd42

Reaction score
City, State
Salem, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford explorer sport
I have a 97 sport white with a three inch lift and tail lights. I'm just curious as to what else I should add. Any ideas out there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are you planning on using the truck for? Cause theres probably an infinite amount of mods that you can do to these trucks, just gotta have an end goal in mind and tailor the mods to that.
Off roading, towing, lifted but for street only, etc.
You could do rims and bigger tires, brush guard, auxilary lighting, custom paint, sound system, etc

Always depends on if your 2wd or 4wd

It's 4wd and off road but still street legal I have custom painted it tow hitch working brush guards just need some ideas running out of them have a soundsystem and stealth sub box already auxiliary lightingjust some ideas or pics that yall have done to yours

SAS! SAS! SAS! Whooo!!!!!!!!!!! Doooo ittttt!!!!

Manual transfer case swap, 5 speed swap (if its not already), V8 swap :D, snorkel, custom bumpers, rock sliders, on board air, regear and lockers, roof rack, reverse spot light for those pesky tailgaters or for seeing while reversing at night
I know you mentioned its lifted already, whats it a 3 inch body lift? And are you running bigger tires or still stock size?

And if your not into custom bumpers, you could also do either a front hitch or front tow hooks so youll have recovery points up front for while your wheeling

The lift is custom I'm a little bit of a self taught fabricator and I made a three inch suspension lift

Well more pieced together but a few pieces I made

Are you looking to make it bigger? Cause you could install a 3 inch body lift, and throw on some 35s :D
Could also do a custom exhaust, skid plate, roll cage, chopped top
My suggestion would be to start lookin through other members build threads, whether it be in the 2nd gen section, elite registry, off road projects section, etc. Cause personally, seeing pics and descriptions of others setups and seeing what works and what doesnt has givin me tons of different ideas on what i wanna do to my truck

I thought about chopped top but I'm working 6 days a week and sadly it is my daily driver and I need some time for that one. Looking at others has gotten me this far. I'm looking at a body lift now to go up and get some 35 but moneys tight and there not the best gas savers I'm thinking bout the 1865 superchip but would that help or hurt.

I have no personal experience as of now with any of the tuners, but a lot of members go through James at Henson Performance. You can buy the tuner through his shop, and hell include several custom tunes with the purchase. Hes done alot of tuning work on explorers and seems like a good guy to help you out. Ill see if i can find his exact username so you could pm him, and i had seen a thread a lil while back from James that was all questions related to the tuner and his work and whatnot

Heres the link: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213225&highlight=henson+performance

He deals with SCT tuners btw

Body lift is like $188 or something. Pretty cheap.

Never been a fan of body lifts. Help install on buddies trucks and I think save your money for suspension. I'm with XLT. Do a SAS and SOA. Both not too difficult. Done a SAS with coils and SOA. Its 110% worth the time and money

See I've contemplated whether or not to do sas soa any problems with sas

If your doing it yourself its always going to have a little "character" as I like to say. There's never anything wrong with doing a SAS. More reliable , stronger, lifting is easier if you ever like to go higher. Personally IFS is only good for one thing. The road! That's it

Gotta have good welding skills lol. And if you go with a dana 44 you wont be able to retain abs in front. If you go with a dana 30 from certain year heeps you can retain it, but the 44 is the stronger axle. But at the same same, forum member stang5lgt has used the 30 for several vehicles and wheels pretty hard without issues.
Then comes adapting a steering box, buildind the rest of the steering linkages, etc

If you do coils the steering is 1/2 the hassle. (No high steering) if your doing a SAS I think just go with the 44. You won't be sorry. I threw the steering box right on the inside of the frame on the driver side. Made brackets that bolted threw the frame. Hardest part was holding the steering box in place while putting the mounts in

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 97 sport white with a three inch lift and tail lights. I'm just curious as to what else I should add. Any ideas out there?

Only a lift and tails? I just noticed that. You probably want headlights so that you're street legal during night time driving :p haha Just thought it was odd to mention a lift at the same time as something like tail lights.

Back