When did Ford put a manual behind the SOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When did Ford put a manual behind the SOHC?

Hokie

Hokius Maximus
Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 TJ Sport
I'm flirting with the idea of getting an ext cab 4x4 Ranger but I'd want a 5spd and I don't want the OHV or the 3.slow

When did Ford finally make the change to putting the M5R01-HD behind the 4.0 SOHC? I think it was 01 or 02... I know the FX4 Level II's get the SOHC, 4.10 gears, manual trans and manual shift transfer :) but they're way out of my price range :(

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it was 2001 when the 4.0 ohv was phased out.

Rangers retain their value much more than the Explorers do. I looked into getting an FX4 Level II before I purchased another explorer. I couldn't even find anything in 4x4 with decent miles for under $10. They all were about 100k and expensive.

EBInterceptor said:
Rangers retain their value much more than the Explorers do. I looked into getting an FX4 Level II before I purchased another explorer. I couldn't even find anything in 4x4 with decent miles for under $10. They all were about 100k and expensive.

Yeah but atleast they're not like Tacoma's which never seem to depreciate. Finding a used, late 90's Taco for less than 10k is hard to do

Later Sports, Sport Tracs, and a handful of 2002 4 doors could have a stick and SOHC.

My sons 01 Job 2 trac has a manual, I think a mazda R1, piece of crap, always haveing syncro problems, maybe it's just his.

I've got the R1 in my 92 and its been nothing short of perfect for the time I've owned it. It's got a 106,000 on it now. Still shifts smooth as silk. My dad had an 89 ranger with an R1 that went to 250,000 on just two clutches without a rebuild.

The M5OD isnt the best manual transmission ever and it's not close to it. There problems here sometimes, but they're a lot better than A4LDs. And not as fun

135k miles on my M50D and still in good shape cept my slave cylinder is shot. I beleive the M5OD HD is the transmission behind the sohc and it is beefed up a little bit.

But you gotta have a 4 door stick :thumbsup: :D

Back