where did you place your CB antenna? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

where did you place your CB antenna?

LONO100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bay Area CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 sport trac XLT
hey all, anybody got new (or newer) pics of where and how they placed and set up their cb antennas and radios? ive seen the older threads, but thought maybe if you havent posted yet on this topic, you could contribute. i am setting up a cb radio in my rig and would like some fresh ideas.

i wanted to keep my set up as subtle as possible. i dont want a huge antenna sticking out of the top of my truck like im trying to communicate with astronauts and i didnt need a huge whip since im primarily going to be using the radio to commnicate with my buddies during road trips, camping trips and trips and off roading. i recently got a magnetic antenna with a 15' wire for 5 bucks off craigslist from this tweeker, so i think i should be good with that, and just recently ordered a cobra 19 cb radio. nothing fancy, just basic operation. i wanted to do a fuse tap (an idea i got from the forum) to power the radio because i didnt want a mess of wires hanging out of the cig lighter, and i plan on putting the antenna right above the third brake light (2003 ST). i didnt want to do any drilling so i was thinking if that looked too funky, i would try to fab my own bracket that would reach underneath the rear left corner of the bumper and i could attach it somewhere under there and then put a whip antenna on the other end of the bracket. anybody try any of these ideas before? if so, results?

awesome, thanks tbars. i should be getting my radio in the mail tomorrow, right in time for my day off so im pretty anxious to get some inspiration.

hey tbars, i read your write up on setting up a cb radio which was very informative and i was wondering how you prefer to power your cb radio. i originally didnt want to run power straight from the battery and was thinking about using a fuse tap, then i also read about some guys tapping into the power of their head unit/radio decks. i want to keep my set up as clutter free as possible so cig lighter adapters are a no go for me. what would you suggest?

also, somewhere along the rabbithole of threads about cb radios i jumped into, a guy mentioned that he used his cb radio antenna to pick up signals for his radio too, and how he was getting much better reception. if this really works how did he do it? is there some type of splitter that you can run both the cb radio and the am/fm radio into that would then lead to the cb radio antenna?

Back