Which transmission & does it matter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which transmission & does it matter?

mjt73

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Here's the scoop...Apparently my 4.0 liter, OHV, '96 XLT, auto tranny w/ control trac(arghh) has two factory transmission listings of 4R-44E and 4R-55E. The dealer told me they are the same transmission. If that's true, ok, fine. I'm looking to change the EPC solenoid which isn't cheap. My buddy has one he'll GIVE me, Part# XL2Z-7G383-AA, but he bought it for a '97 Explorer Sport with the 4R-44E/5R-55E transmission. After hours of searching and three calls to dealerships I can't get a straight answer as to whether or not that part will work. The part number listed for my '96 is F5TZ-7H144-A and lists for $302.25. Is there a difference between the '97's 4R-44E/5R-55E trannie and my '96's 4R-44E/4R-55E? Any idea if this FREE part would work. Can't tell you how much I appreciate the help.

Well first off, If you have a 96, you do not have the SOHC motor. Up to 96 only the OHV V6 was available. You should have the 4R55E, and 97-01 have the 5R55E. As for whether the part will swap between transmissions, I don't know. But if those two part numbers you have are right, then it sure doesn't look like it.

Alright, I figured out the parts are not interchangable. On to looking for a place to purchase the correct ones.

Back