Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Who has made kickpanels?

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by VairKing, September 29, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. VairKing

VairKing Elite Explorer<br>Midwest-Xplorer Member

City, State:
      Kalamazoo, Michigan
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '97 EB V8 AWD
      I seached and searched the site, but couldnt find too much, so im posting. Im going to be getting a set of components pretty soon, and want to make some kick panels. I am pretty good with fiberglass, and know a lot of the ins and outs, so if someone could tell me what they did that would be awesome...Pics would be great...I know its been done! Also, what size speaker did you use? TIA

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Robb

Robb Explorer Addict

Hey Ryan, why not just put the components in the doors and pillars? From my experience, speakers stuck way down in the kick panels usually don't sound that great. But maybe those that have installed them will prove me wrong.

Robb

4. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      I tried my component tweeters taped to the stock kick panels. I did not like the sound.

5. VairKing

City, State:
      Kalamazoo, Michigan
      '97 EB V8 AWD
      I have read a lot of posts that say the sound is a lot better from kick panels. I dunno, just thought that they wouldnt sell too many of them if they didnt improve the sound...They are like 200 new, i can make em a lot cheaper than that...any other opinions?

6. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      What sounds best is what YOU like best. I thought the sound was not a sharp and crisp mounted low, even mounted on doors. Sound is very personal.

Do what YOU like.

Good luck.....

7. VairKing

City, State:
      Kalamazoo, Michigan
      '97 EB V8 AWD
    8. B94Sport

B94Sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Geneva, IL
      05 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
      I haven't made them but I can tell you that components mounted in actual kick panels do sound much better than mounted in the stock location... They will be aimed directly at your ears and be a little farther away from your ears, which is good for imaging. Mounting in the stock speaker locations will aim them at your knees, and if you have a passenger, then forget it. Mounting them to the stock kickpanels would not do much either... That would probably actually sound the worst out of the three options, because then they would be aimed directly at your feet! I didn't feel like dealing with trying to make them myself (it looks like a lot more work that I wanted to devot to them - I put all that work into my box), so I just shelled out the cash for the Qforms, but they sound amazing. Err, they did until my amp crapped out on me, but that is another story.

9. pband599

pband599 New Member

City, State:
      Apopka, FL
      99 Blue Base
      I would say to get some pics of the Q-Logic ones, and copy to the best of your ability. Also, you could get some factory ones and glue on a 6.5" (diameter) x 1" (wide) x 1" (think) wood ring then fiberglass around that cutting away the plastic under the wood, for the speaker. As for the tweets, do the same but rather than a ring make a creasent (sp?) shape, the you can move it where you want it.

Please post some pics when you're done.

Good Luck with it.

10. VairKing

City, State:
      Kalamazoo, Michigan
      '97 EB V8 AWD
    11. Crimson

Crimson Active Member

City, State:
      Cherry Hill, NJ
      '02 Sport
      I know this does not help you much but this is the next best thing (pic below). Infinity mid's would never fit in the kick panels and a custom job would cost too much. Not to mention the amount of space it would take up.

[​IMG]

paul

ps infinity kapa perfects 6.1 (6 1/2in).