1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

window tint

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by greyduck, July 26, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. greyduck

greyduck New Member

City, State:
    Issaquah, WA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 Ford Explorer XLT
    Evening all.....I purchased a 1993 Explorer XLT about 2 months ago, and I am looking to tint my driver/passenger windows. Would someone be able to tell me where or who I could talk to in order to find out the color or percentage of tint on the rear windows?
    Thanks!:exp:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Brandon96

Brandon96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Central Virginia
    '96 XLT 4.0 OHV
    Does yours have the "mirrory" looking tint?

The best match I found is from Autozone, it's called "Gila Xtreme Gunmetal Mirror Tint," it's 35% light emitting and 20% light reflective. Seriously had a friend of mine who is a professional Automotive/Residential window tinter try for an entire day using a hundred different combos to match the rear, only to have a $15 roll of tint from Autozone match it perfectly.. ugh. I suggest getting it professionally installed though so it actually comes out right.. you'd be surprised at the difference between a contaminated tint job.

The only thing wrong with it is from the inside, the Gila tint is smoked colored whereas the factory tint has that gold/amber hue to it. But I don't mind it, very rarely do I look out the rear windows anyways...

Good luck!

4. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

We Support Our Troops!