• Register Today It's free!

Wiring question?

CFAIST

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer
Hey guys. I bought my 92 explorer thinking I just had to fix up the torque converter bushing. But after some work with getting it on the road. I figured out I have no lights in the rear. This harness was pretty much wire nutted, scotch locked and hacked to pieces. Is this the correct harness that sends all the power to the rear lights? Tail, turn, brake, parking, hazards? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_20200113_184326768.jpg

IMG_20200113_184332885.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what plug are we looking at here?
Where was all the hacking done on your 92
It has been a while since I wired underneath a gen I but I am sure we can sort it out.....just need a little more info

I believe its from the multifunction switch. This end ran behind the parking brake on the driver's side kick panel. And too the floor. Not sure why he tapped into it 6 different times behind the kick panel but he did.

Good place to start might be the master connector in the left rear quarterpanel, aft of the fuel filler. If you are going after wiring, I strongly suggest buying a used EVTM factory wiring book. You can find them cheap on ebay and they describe completely all the routing, connections, test procedures for components, grounds, everything. I would not try to put a vehicle back to stock without one.

For example, there are splices in the harness to the rear, and without this book, you will not find them without tearing the entire harness down. Good Luck!

That's my biggest hold up right now. I've gotten wiring diagrams from a few different places. And none of them jive color wise as well as there are no mentions of plug locations

Yeah, that book would save you hours of frustration. The connector I mentioned has caused me trouble in the winter. What happens is that particular spot collects snow and ice from the road. It's almost a perfect scoop for snow off flying off that tire. Ice builds up, and the weight pulls on the wiring and connector. And, road salt adds corrosion to the picture. At one point, I had to rewire the license place lights from that connector out because of the corrosion... the wires were green and turning to powder. If you can tell me the wiring locations you are concerned about, I'll put up some scanned pages this weekend. Sorry I can't do it sooner, we have a bad storm coming and... man, the snow in northern MN just keeps coming.

Back