Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Won't shift into gear

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by Mudlizard, March 3, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Mudlizard

Mudlizard New Member

City, State:
    Orlando, FL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    96 Explorer
    96 Explorer 4WD. Sometimes won't shift into gear, often after backing out but could be anytime. If you move the shifter back to park you can hear the gears grind down. Sometimes that is all it takes to reset but often I have to do this several times to get it going. I've been told it is fairly common and that it is likely a differential or transfer case issue as the grinding means the transmission is spinning. What could I be looking at here?
    Need to send this vehicle to West Point with my Cadet son at the end of next week so, i need to figure this out quickly.
    Thanks.

Last edited: March 3, 2015
  2. Support EF

Special! - 2 Year Elite membership now through July 24 $20!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.