98 Explorer 5 Speed Won't Shift Into Gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer 5 Speed Won't Shift Into Gear

1976pianoman

Reaction score
City, State
Northridge, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Exp Sport V6 5spd
Hello,

My 98 Explorer will not shift into gear, including reverse. If the engine is not running, I can easily shift into all gears. Once I'm in gear with the engine off, and then start the engine (I tried this with first gear and reverse on my driveway), I can go, yet it's as if once the engine starts, the transmission freezes in whatever gear it's in. Driving around in first gear and reverse won't work for me. Although I breifly entertained the idea while processing the denial inherent in needing to drive while faced with a transmission problem while being broke.

I experienced a very similar problem a year or two ago with this same Explorer. It was nearly impossible to shift, at times impossible. Not quite as bad as this though. The problem just vanished on it's own after a day or two of very uncomforable and nerve-wracking driving.

Input/advise would be much appreciated. Time is of the essence.

Thank you.

Sounds like the slave....Can you get it bled? Aftermarkets are troublesome in this application if it''s been replaced before & not a Ford part.

Sounds like the slave....Can you get it bled? Aftermarkets are troublesome in this application if it''s been replaced before & not a Ford part.

Agreed. Definitely clutch related and most likely the slave cylinder. The clutch is not disengaging.

Great news. I replaced the trans fluid, and I'm back in business. Thank God.

Thank you both for your input.

I may have an underlying problem as it's not 100%, but it's easily drivable now without too much of a fight.

Back