yikes! Check your brakes.

LowdPypes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Mountaineer
I'll make this as short as possible. A little while ago, I posted a thread saying that I installed all new brakes (calipers, discs and pads all around) and everything went rather smooth except for breaking a bolt that was my fault. Anyway, the other day I was cruising down the road and I had to make a quick turn into a place and the place has a small elevation in the entrance (like most stores do)... when I went to turn and brake, my truck did NOT STOP! Finally, when I straitened the wheel out, it stopped like normal. It has always stopped funny when I turned but I never notice it on full turns because I am not usually using the brakes with U turns. Anyway, went home, took the wheels off, hooked it up to the air bleeder but it woudn't bleed at full turn. Now, here's the scary part. Seems as though when Ford installed the lines on my truck, they put them on the wrong sides. At full turn, the lines would stretch all the way out and kink therefore shutting off power to whichever was turned at full. I took them off, switched them and reinstalled. If you look at your lines, you will see what I mean. When it exists the caliper, it has a 90 degree metal tubing on it then it goes to rubber lines. The bend was facing the rear of the car instead of the front. Scary.
I know that brakework was done at the local Ford dealer where I bought it, so I am thinking it was them who screwed it up. Think I should say something to them about it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, say something. It's always nice for a "novice" to show a "pro" up...LOL Not saying that you're a novice.

wow, thats scary.. I depend on my brakes a lot.. when I finally do get moving... 4500 pounds has quite a momentum. you should definatley tell them, rub it in their face infact, threaten to sue lol if a company did something stupid that could threaten my life like that I'd be on them like white on rice.

thanks for telling us, I'll hafta check mine out if I feel any such symptoms

WOW! Thats scary. (edit: hahahaha Darkfox and I had the same reaction)

I have the Superlift 4" extended rubber lines, when I installed them I had to run the front end through it;s full travel cycle and full lock to lock on the wheel, just for piece of mind. I wanted to make sure they dont get caught inthe spring or pinched, it took a couple wire ties per side, but like you said, the direction the head when they leave the caliper is the most critial thing that determines their route. So it is a good idea to check those baby's!!!

well I didn't mean to sound corny...

Back