• Register Today It's free!

brake squeal and ABS light

sonik

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I replaced the front pads last month and everything has been good with the brake system until today. It's probably not related, but before I got the abs light I had just done the whole Seafoam treatment and tapped into the brake booster line to do so. Yes, I had the liquid go into the intake, not the other way around into the brake booster :) Anyway, I was on the highway and had to stop abruptly. I felt the ABS kick in and the rear might have locked up. Right away I notice the ABS light on and stopped/restarted the engine when I got off the highway which cleared the light. The only other time the light came on was when I was on a dynamometer for an emmission check, and it turned off when I turned the engine off/on. But my main problem is that the brakes, the front ones I believe, are squealing badly when coming to a full stop. I took the front wheels off and everything looks right... the disc spins around nicely, the pads are there, anti rattle clips are in, slide pins are well greased. I don't feel much play in the wheel either, so the bearings which I recently repacked should be good.
I was sort of in a hurry so I didn't take the caliper off to check out the pads but maybe I got some dirt/grease/fluid on the pads? The calipers are old, and so are the discs which I didn't resurface. I should probably bleed the brakes, the fluid is darkish, and I need to push the pedal in about 3/4 of the way before I get any stopping action.

Back