My Ugly Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Ugly Sport Trac
John_Rock

My Ugly Sport Trac

Ok, this is what my lifted Sport Trac looks like with regular size tires on it. Pretty bad, huh? But, those are stock size Explorer tires. The front passenger tire is my original spare tire.
It was easier to find 15" spare tires in the junkyard, so the rear is sporting those. The driver's side 16" spare tire came off an 02 Explorer. But, I did notice that the 02 Explorer's spare wheel has a different offset than my original 16" spare.
Oh yeah, the reason I had put on the spare tires was because I was gonna use a tow dolly to tow it to Gilmer, TX for some offroading. But, that didn't happen when I figure out that I had a problem with my locker in the front differential.
I have a Powertrax LockRight in the front diffy. Well, last time I went offroading to Gilmer, TX; I broke my passenger side CV axle. I didn't replace the CV axle til just before that last planned Gilmer trip a few weeks ago. That's when I discovered that the front diffy was locked and would NOT unlock.
I pulled the front differential last week and took it apart. I discovered that the 4 small pins that go in there with the springs each broke in half.
I called Powertrax and they are sending me new pins free of charge. :) I guess I stressed everything a little too hard last Aug. in Gilmer.

nice to know that power tracks backed their stuff. with the lockers front and rear can you drive you truck on the road with out any problems?
also what effects do the powertraxs have on the road. thanks for the info

As far as how the front handles on the road when in 2wd. There is no handle affect. You may sometimes here the clicking as you are turning. If you have an Explorer with the AUTO mode, you MUST do the mod that disables the AUTO mode and gives you true 2wd. If you have an AWD Explorer you could never put one of these lockers in the front differential. You would have to replace the AWD transfercase with a real part-time 4wd transfercase before even thinking about putting a Powertrax locker in the front diffy.

As far as the rear is concerned on the road, at city speeds if you are on the gas taking a turn the inside rear wheel will usually chirp. It mostly happens to me from a dead stop taking a right turn. I usually get about 3 chirps. One of the NJ guys got a ticket once when his did it in front of a cop. And of course you may hear the clicking/racheting sound when turning and not being on the gas.

Official Disclaimer: My results may vary from yours, due to model variations. IE - My Sport Trac has a longer wheelbase and possibly less weight over the rear axle. Plus any offroad mods will change the stock driving characteristics of any truck and care should be taken to learn the new limits of the truck and not to exceed them.

Media information

Category
Offroad Truck Photos
Added by
John_Rock
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back